Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I can understand why people feel more sympathy for the animal, they feel that the person has options and has made choices leading to them being in that situation.  The dog on the other hand, can't apply for help, can't get clean, can't get a job and almost certainly wasn't part of any poor decisions that lead to begging and/or being homeless.

Yes, I can understand that, but remember some homeless also don't have many options, and are homeless through no fault of their own.

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I can understand why people feel more sympathy for the animal, they feel that the person has options and has made choices leading to them being in that situation.  The dog on the other hand, can't apply for help, can't get clean, can't get a job and almost certainly wasn't part of any poor decisions that lead to begging and/or being homeless.

It’s because they are slightly weird and empathise more with an animal than a fellow human being.

if all our species had taken the same approach we’d have been extinct long ago.

I am becoming increasingly concerned that someone is living rough somewhere that I walk with my dogs, I first noticed a tent there a few weeks ago, there appeared to be a couple of young Men that came out of it, I couldn't see them that clearly but definitely not kids, I was shocked to see the tent there still today, it is so cold today I cant help but worry...any ideas what I could do to get help for these people?

1 minute ago, Mouserat said:

If you're concerned about someone sleeping rough, you can use StreetLink - this means someone from an outreach team will try and contact them, and try to help them with finding accommodation / other support:-

https://www.streetlink.org.uk/

Thanks for that I will get onto it, I hope that someone can help them as obviously things are only going to get worse weather wise now, it doesn't bear thinking about.

26 minutes ago, Moonbird said:

Thanks for that I will get onto it, I hope that someone can help them as obviously things are only going to get worse weather wise now, it doesn't bear thinking about.

There have been quite of few stories of rough sleepers being killed due to hypothermia, or sleeping in industrial bins and getting squashed when the bins are emptied into bin wagons.

12 hours ago, Martin C said:

I believe that the hate and spite is not aimed at those "reduced to begging" but (very correctly) at those who "choose to beg". Until there is a rock solid way of differentiating between the two there is absolutely no way I would donate even a penny piece to any beggar. 

A nice get out that doesn't admonish those on here who make judgements about those who beg through circumstance; and which also presents itself as a  justification for selfishness.

On the subject of beggars.  Watched a woman today, who I'd described as Eastern European / Roma gypsy, walking down from the bottom of Fargate onto the High St, not saying anything but holding her hand out to folk while shaking a tin, expecting people to drop money in. 

Guest makapaka
25 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

On the subject of beggars.  Watched a woman today, who I'd described as Eastern European / Roma gypsy, walking down from the bottom of Fargate onto the High St, not saying anything but holding her hand out to folk while shaking a tin, expecting people to drop money in. 

Poor lass must be skint.