Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

On 23/01/2019 at 09:16, Cyclone said:

You wonder how many people who are put off west street on a friday night visit foreign places where begging is the only way of life?  Do such places even exist?  And if they do, are they holiday destinations?

In addition to the centre of Sheffield I also avoid foreign places since I was mugged abroad in a mediterranean country and had my wallet and all my euros stolen. 

I am happier these days to lead the life of a hermit. I (just about) feel safer in my own home.

22 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So your 'compassion' is instead to let them freeze or starve to death, that'll definitely address whatever problems they have.  And you accuse other people of "killing them"...

Terrible as that is, what about those that suffer as a result of drug related problems?  Most begging is pay for addictions (the beggar may or may not be homeless). Some argue it could be justified to hand out money to beggars as drugs provide an escape. Briefly. But is highly unlikely to end well without professional support.

1 hour ago, kaytie said:

Sunday evening I walked from High Street to the Light Cinema around 7.15.   There were people in about eight doorways.   At 10.15 I walked back.... and they were all gone!     ? 

Precisely this. The homeless had all gone home.

17 hours ago, GinTreeS7 said:

In addition to the centre of Sheffield I also avoid foreign places since I was mugged abroad in a mediterranean country and had my wallet and all my euros stolen. 

I am happier these days to lead the life of a hermit. I (just about) feel safer in my own home.

Perhaps you should see your GP and see if you can get some help.

11 hours ago, redruby said:

Terrible as that is, what about those that suffer as a result of drug related problems?  Most begging is pay for addictions (the beggar may or may not be homeless). Some argue it could be justified to hand out money to beggars as drugs provide an escape. Briefly. But is highly unlikely to end well without professional support.

Homeless people turn to drink and drugs to self medicate.  They use them to escape the grinding hardship of the life they live.

If you don't want to help them buy drink or drugs though, buy them food directly.

9 hours ago, kaytie said:

Sunday evening I walked from High Street to the Light Cinema around 7.15.   There were people in about eight doorways.   At 10.15 I walked back.... and they were all gone!     ? 

It's possible that they aren't actually homeless of course, but equally possible that they simply go to somewhere where they might be a little warmer or where they feel safer.  Being homeless doesn't oblige you to sleep in full view of passing pedestrians.

10 minutes ago, liam1412 said:

So you are actually claiming homelessness isn't a thing.   Unbelievable. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45983897

The accuracy of the data also relies on the local knowledge of those carrying out the count. For example, some people may intentionally choose not to sleep on the street because they fear being attacked, says Deborah Garvie from the housing charity Shelter.

"Some people may choose to spend all night on a bus, for example. Women have been known to sleep in people's front gardens because they feel safer," she says.

A BBC report with the numbers of rough sleepers as underestimated or counted by the local councils.

Yorkshire and Humber shows 200, but you can see at the bottom of the article that a charity in London which records each individual contact with someone sleeping rough through the year records a number nearly 8 times the official "one night snapshot" count.  So if the same pattern holds true in Yorkshire it's closer to 1500 people.  Not all in Sheffield of course, but given the relative size of the city it would be about a quarter of that figure, so somewhere between 50 and 400.