Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I dont care, I was down few times in my life. With no job, no money no nothing. Somehow, I managed to pull up to the surface. Thats why I will always try to help unfortunate one, even if its only 1 of 10.

Edited by Guest

I live at park Hill and they all walk through to Duke Street to buy their drugs.

And i can tell you that there are 10-15 beggers town who as soon as they get £10-£20 they walk striaght to the dealer to get their fix.

It used to be heroin but now they are doing alot of Spice too.

DO NOT give these people money. Its too easy for them. If they have to steal to buy drugs then hopefully they will get sent to prison and get the help the need or at least cold turkey.

You are enabling their lifestyle and also giving your money to local dealers.

If i see someone begging who has a dog i will buy the dog food.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

I don't know about begging but I will never ever buy another copy of the Big Issue after I witnessed one of our neighbours Heroin addicted son's selling them on Fargate.

I thought you had to be homeless to sell the Big Issue?

I dont care, I was down few times in my life. With no job, no money no nothing. Somehow, I managed to pull up to the surface. Thats why I will always try to help unfortunate one, even if its only 1 of 10.

Very admirable, but did you ever beg when you were down and out? I have been broke, as I think most have at some point in their life, but I have never begged. Most real homeless people are too proud to beg, I have seen it first hand, when doing volunteer work. Some won't even ask for welfare unless they have kids. There are many people on the streets of Toronto,but the one's doing the begging are the deadbeats doing it for a living or a fix. I suspect this is the case in all big cities , including Sheffield, my former home.

Anyone had the misfortune of encountering that massive bloke who's always on the beg? You will probably know him because of the abuse/comments he will scream at you if you don't give him owt. Given his size its really intimidating

Sanctions are for a reason though, like not turning up to sign on, not showing for a job interview, not looking for work etc. Some are sanctioned unnecessarily and that is a shame and these people should be compensated when it's proven, but the majority of sanctions are for people not adhering to their side of the contract with the DWP they sign when they first sign on.

My friend works in a job centre, they think the sanctions pretty fair.

It only takes a tiny amount of common sense to apply them, and these people have heard every excuse under the sun already so know who's trying to have them on and who's telling them the truth.

It looks like The British Heard Foundation shop on Arundel gate has had to have a roller shutter fitted to keep them out of the doorway. At what cost I wonder? I catch the bus there every weekday morning at about 7ish. The doorway always looked like a landfill site with two or three kipping under duvets amongst the litter.

Must add that I was never approached by anyone for money.

It looks like The British Heard Foundation shop on Arundel gate has had to have a roller shutter fitted to keep them out of the doorway. At what cost I wonder? I catch the bus there every weekday morning at about 7ish. The doorway always looked like a landfill site with two or three kipping under duvets amongst the litter.

Must add that I was never approached by anyone for money.

As those unfortunate individuals are presumably genuinely homeless I guess they wouldn't be the type to hassle passers by for money in the same way that the most of the swarm of lowlife that descend on the city centre later in the morning do

Edited by Martin C
missing 'the' between 'be' & 'type'

They all usually appeared to be fast asleep. There was a box or some other item close by with a bit of small change in/on it. Very passive and unthreatening. When they were awake they were usually just chatting amongst themselves.

Had one said 'lowlife' in Pond Street bus station yesterday morning trying to get £3.80 off everyone he came across. Said he needed it to get back to Nottingham. Was on a black bicycle. Told him that if he set off now he'd be home in three hours on his bike. Another passenger threatened to deck him.

Edited by mad-dad