Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

On 21/04/2020 at 09:16, Justin Smith said:

A couple of points either way.....

There's a beggar in Hillsborough who always looks helpless and poor, I saw him on his mobile phone the other day......

just because he's poor and homeless doesn't mean he cant have a phone

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

just because he's poor and homeless doesn't mean he cant have a phone

It was a smart phone. Sorry, but someone who has the money and organisation to get a smart phone, and knowledge of how to use one, is not someone who needs to be begging.

Actually, whilst I'm on, we were in Gloucester just over a month ago. A beggar was asking us for money etc saying he hadn't eaten etc. As mentioned before I remembered when someone had helped me when I'd lost my bus fare years ago, so I offered to buy him a sandwich from Subway. He then changed his story to "no, I need the money for my leccy bill".

No, he was a scammer, and people like him should be ashamed of themselves because they put people off from helping those who really do need it. Like I did when I lost my bus fare all those years ago.....

Edited by Justin Smith

14 hours ago, leginemro said:

Why dont idiotic people of Sheffield JUST STOP GIVING to these scumbags ,they then would move on when they realise the people have got wise to their scams 

I have yet to START giving to said scumbags.  

22 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

It was a smart phone. Sorry, but someone who has the money and organisation to get a smart phone, and knowledge of how to use one, is not someone who needs to be begging.

perhaps he had it before he became homeless perhaps a charity gave him it and even before this it was very hard to interact with the state without one.

https://invisiblepeople.tv/why-do-some-homeless-people-have-cell-phones/

22 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

No, he was a scammer, and people like him should be ashamed of themselves because they put people off from helping those who really do need it. Like I did when I lost my bus fare all those years ago.....

the advice from all agencies i've seen has consistently been not to give people money as that doesn't help them break out of the lifestyle. 

20 hours ago, leginemro said:

Why dont idiotic people of Sheffield JUST STOP GIVING to these scumbags ,they then would move on when they realise the people have got wise to there scams 

They aren't all scumbags. I had genuinely lost my money and couldn't get home, a 7 mile plus journey at about 14. What I would say is don't give "beggars" money, if they say they need the bus fare, give it straight to the driver or if they say they're hungry, buy them a sandwich, etc etc.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd reopen this post.

Just come back from Doncaster, OK it's not Sheffield but bare with me.

Car park next to (re vamped) Market place is between 2pm & 6pm until October, free to park  

sounds good & it is.

So I've dropped Daughter off to sit her Theory test (she passed with flying colours) 

anyway, I've my book with me and as i'm waiting in't car I notice, sat next to the parking machine 

behind me one of Donni's down and outs quite helpfully pointing out to anyone wanting to use the paying machine

" there is no charge" by the way "any small change" = instant result.

Looking forward towards the other machine, you've guessed it another of Donni's so called down and outs up to

exactly the same scam.

Top marks for ingenuity, 

Top marks for gullibility for those 20 - 30 people who gave so generously to such amenable helpful guys in the hour 

I was there.  

What happened next and something I've well suspected for some time, another (supposedly) down and out

(with a wad of cash) joins them, calls the other two to follow him making it obvious they were working as a team.

Are they paid a 'wage' by the gang master?

It sure looked like it to me.

Keep safe.

Although I have some sympathy we must show at least some  kindness to the down and outs. We must hope that our children and grandchildren don't end up as spice/mamba heads in the inner cities.I say give them a bit of sympathy and perhaps a sandwich but no money.

10 hours ago, Mossway said:

Although I have some sympathy we must show at least some  kindness to the down and outs. We must hope that our children and grandchildren don't end up as spice/mamba heads in the inner cities.I say give them a bit of sympathy and perhaps a sandwich but no money.

What I saw was organised, although looking scruffy the guy with a wad of banknotes was moving the two working the scam at the ticket machines on to new pastures, because after 6pm I believe the parking is free any way so the scam wouldn't have worked.

Personally  I chuckled every time another 'sucker' 'paid' for a service that was free and told it was by someone holding his hand out.

One born every minute. 🍋🍋

7 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

What I saw was organised, although looking scruffy the guy with a wad of banknotes was moving the two working the scam at the ticket machines on to new pastures, because after 6pm I believe the parking is free any way so the scam wouldn't have worked.

Personally  I chuckled every time another 'sucker' 'paid' for a service that was free and told it was by someone holding his hand out.

One born every minute. 🍋🍋

Lots of people give money to beggars and don’t consider themselves scammed. Where is the scam?