Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

If a grown adult can't see when they are being taken for a ride, there is something very wrong. I blame the nanny state for stopping citizens for thinking for themselves. At school, the bully steels the lunch money. Gullable children know no better than to surrender their silver to the dodgy character. I had hoped that grown adults would be able to see the wood through the trees and have the self respect not to be fooled by these dregs.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

8 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I doubt most people giving money to beggars feel holier than thou or see themselves as do-gooders. More likely just see a person who looks in need of support and are trying to help them in their way. It might be inappropriate, but is likely well intentioned.

I don’t imagine that anyone ever consciously views themselves as ‘holier than thou’ or a ‘do gooder’.  I do think plenty see themselves as charitable and morally superior to others. The point I’m making though is that this type of person tends to use any kind of negativity towards street people as a reason to keep defending anti social behaviour and handing over ‘spare change’.  I’m sure they really do believe that handing a couple of quid to a beggar is helping.  It isn’t of course.  But when campaigns have been run to try to educate people not to give to beggars and give to charity instead it’s been met by outcries that it’s dehumanising street people.  So the campaign is stopped (an example of this is in Nottingham) and begging, fighting, shoplifting, drinking and drug use continues. Similarly when some people start calling street people ‘vermin’ etc, the do gooders throw their hands up at how awful that is but at the same time are clueless at how to help them and make it worse by defending anti social behaviour and giving them ‘spare change’.  It’s best to accept the street people have complex problems, need professional help and if anyone wants to assist with this help give to an appropriate charity.  Because defending antisocial behaviour and handing money direct to beggars is part of the reason we have the situation we do now.

Edited by pfifes
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pfifes said:

I don’t imagine that anyone ever consciously views themselves as ‘holier than thou’ or a ‘do gooder’.  I do think plenty see themselves as charitable and morally superior to others. The point I’m making though is that this type of person tends to use any kind of negativity towards street people as a reason to keep defending anti social behaviour and handing over ‘spare change’.  I’m sure they really do believe that handing a couple of quid to a beggar is helping.  It isn’t of course.  But when campaigns have been run to try to educate people not to give to beggars and give to charity instead it’s been met by outcries that it’s dehumanising street people.  So the campaign is stopped (an example of this is in Nottingham) and begging, fighting, shoplifting, drinking and drug use continues. Similarly when some people start calling street people ‘vermin’ etc, the do gooders throw their hands up at how awful that is but at the same time are clueless at how to help them and make it worse by defending anti social behaviour and giving them ‘spare change’.  It’s best to accept the street people have complex problems, need professional help and if anyone wants to assist with this help give to an appropriate charity.  Because defending antisocial behaviour and handing money direct to beggars is part of the reason we have the situation we do now.

I agree with this, but professional help costs money - a lot of money.

Ask any charity and they will tell you they are overwhelmed at the moment, night shelters are full  and they are turning people away. Food banks are running out of food..

An amalgam of all sorts of social and economic problems that are besetting our country.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Ask any charity and they will tell you they are overwhelmed at the moment, night shelters are full  and they are turning people away. Food banks are running out of food..

An amalgam of all sorts of social and economic problems that are besetting our country.

Indeed.  But if the naive started giving to charity instead of handing cash to beggars that would make a difference especially if it’s true that some beggars can make £100 in a night.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pfifes said:

Indeed.  But if the naive started giving to charity instead of handing cash to beggars that would make a difference especially if it’s true that some beggars can make £100 in a night.

On 31/10/2023 at 06:44, pfifes said:

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Why is this a duplication of post 2353..

Just a bit curious that's all?

• Like 1

Giving a beggar a couple of quid for bus fare doesn't stop people giving to homeless charities as well.

It's a pity charities such as this are needed. The problems need sorting out at source with government action such as more affordable housing and rent control.

6 minutes ago, Padders said:

Why is this a duplication of post 2353..

Just a bit curious that's all?

Hi Padders, It was still in my edit box and I must have hit the wrong key. I meant to clear the box not post it again. Oops. I'm easily confused... 

Sorry.

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Giving a beggar a couple of quid for bus fare doesn't stop people giving to homeless charities as well.

It's a pity charities such as this are needed. The problems need sorting out at source with government action.

Hi Padders, It was still in my edit box and I must have hit the wrong key. I meant to clear the box not post it again. Oops. I'm easily confused... 

Sorry.

Thanks Anna,

Your not on your own, I'm easily confused also, I still live in the dark ages what with all this technology...

I love reading your posts, but I thought to myself there's no need to post em twice.......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It doesn't go towards a bus fare. It goes towards heroin.

Young "Lady" stopped me on Hartley Brook shops a few years ago asking for bus fare...

I said were do you live.. she said "Parson Cross"

As I was on my way to ASDA I offered to give her a lift..

She walked off in disgust...

• Like 3