Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

22 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah they were totally wonderful times for the blacks and the asians and many women and gay people....

Civil rights might have made a start but it was still a long long way off being fully integrated into society. For many it was to certainly not all so innocent.

There wasn't the illegal drug problem.

Pubs had licensing hours.

Clubs did not stay open all night.

Things were changing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

Only if there were thick curtains on the windows.

I remember a local copper popping into one boozer I did after bird in for a swift half whilst on duty. You don’t half have a rose tinted memory of the past harvey. My late grandmother had a great saying, ‘nostalgia is a seductive liar’.

22 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

I remember a local copper popping into one boozer I did after bird in for a swift half whilst on duty. You don’t half have a rose tinted memory of the past harvey. My late grandmother had a great saying, ‘nostalgia is a seductive liar’.

In your grandma's day people were sometimes referred to as "romancers" as tales they told could not be checked on unlike nowadays.

Always remember the good times.

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

There wasn't the illegal drug problem.

Pubs had licensing hours.

Clubs did not stay open all night.

Things were changing.

It was the era of psychedelic art mimicking LSD hallucination, the era of the cannabis fuelled flower power and hippie weed.....  Who are you trying to kid. Drug culture was rife just as much if not far more than it is today.

Enough with the rose tinted nostalgia.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah they were totally wonderful times for the blacks and the asians and many women and gay people....

Civil rights might have made a start but it was still a long long way off being fully integrated into society. For many it was to certainly not all so innocent.

There were no Gay people in the 60s . Its a modern thing .

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It was the era of psychedelic art mimicking LSD hallucination, the era of the cannabis fuelled flower power and hippie weed.....  Who are you trying to kid. Drug culture was rife just as much if not far more than it is today.

Enough with the rose tinted nostalgia.   

Maybe towards the later 1960s but there was not the problems on such a large scale as today or with the related criminal gangs.

Edited by harvey19

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

Maybe towards the later 1960s but there was not the problems on such a large scale as today or with the related criminal gangs.

There also wasn’t any internet in the 1960s so there was less awareness of criminality.  
It’s human nature to put on rose tinted spectacles to view the past.  We all do it to some extent.  As someone else said, some things change for the worse but other things change for the better.  

• Like 1