Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

36 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Do you have a monkey Mr organ grinder? Think it's replying for you on this thread 🤔 

That's fine,   he's doing ok isn't he.  Even he doesn't like being told what to do by someone else who mistakenly thinks they're in charge.

Edited by Organgrinder

11 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You do what you choose and we'll do what we choose.   That's what living in a free society means.

Of course.  But in a free society we can offer advice and opinions too.  I think it would be worth at least taking time to reflect about how you would feel if money you gave to a beggar stopped them accessing support or even ended with worst case scenario.  

Edited by pfifes
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Of course.  But in a free society we can offer advice and opinions too.  I think it would be worth at least taking time to reflect about how you would feel if money you gave to a beggar stopped them accessing support or even ended with worst case scenario.  

At the end of the day,  they will always choose what they want to do with their lives,  with their health and with their money. and that is their right.

If I can think that I have helped a little, rather than just walked past and ignored them,   then that is my preferred option.   I don't allow other busybodies to decide my options for me.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

At the end of the day,  they will always choose what they want to do with their lives,  with their health and with their money. and that is their right.

If I can think that I have helped a little, rather than just walked past and ignored them,   then that is my preferred option.   I don't allow other busybodies to decide my options for me.

Pifes is right, you can give your money away to whoever you want, but I can also advise against it. I can voice my opinion. Begging affects everyone. There is only one reason they keep coming back and that is because people keep giving to them. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Pifes is right, you can give your money away to whoever you want, but I can also advise against it. I can voice my opinion. Begging affects everyone. There is only one reason they keep coming back and that is because people keep giving to them. 

You can advise,  but I can choose to ignore your advice,  so I'll repeat my answer to  Pfifes

They will always choose what they want to do with their lives,  with their health and with their money. and that is their right.

If I can think that I have helped a little, rather than just walked past and ignored them,   then that is my right too and also preferred option.

6 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

You can advise,  but I can choose to ignore your advice,  so I'll repeat my answer to  Pfifes

They will always choose what they want to do with their lives,  with their health and with their money. and that is their right.

If I can think that I have helped a little, rather than just walked past and ignored them,   then that is my right too and also preferred option.

If you believe that what you are doing is "helping", that's up to you. 

I believe that as human beings, we have a right to walk down the street without being harassed for our hard earned money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I believe you are thinking with your heart rather than your head.  
I remember reading an interview with a man who had begged and had addictions but turned his life around.  He advised not to give to beggars as it just enabled them to fund their addictions and stopped them engaging with support.

Why then is it preferable to give to beggar rather than a charity?  There are smaller charities doing good work if you have concerns about CEO pay at the big charities etc.

I don’t believe sharing an opinion on this is being a ‘busybody’.  It’s not just about you personally. The city centre is declining rapidly and if you ask people why, the answer almost always refers to the ‘Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users’.  There are other reasons of course but this is still a very significant problem.  Both for the individuals living this sad life and the general public who sometimes feel unsafe and intimidated in a city centre they find depressing and run down. The street people have complex issues that require complex support not bits of change from passers by.

If you still think ‘At the end of the day,  they will always choose what they want to do with their lives,  with their health and with their money. and that is their right.’, then consider what you would do if someone (not a street person) collapsed outside and was clearly physically very unwell but insisted they were fine.  Would you just leave them because it was ‘their choice’  or would you call for an ambulance because they clearly in a situation where they are unable to make a rational decision and their life could be in danger?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I believe you are thinking with your heart rather than your head.  
I remember reading an interview with a man who had begged and had addictions but turned his life around.  He advised not to give to beggars as it just enabled them to fund their addictions and stopped them engaging with support.

Why then is it preferable to give to beggar rather than a charity?  There are smaller charities doing good work if you have concerns about CEO pay at the big charities etc.

I don’t believe sharing an opinion on this is being a ‘busybody’.  It’s not just about you personally. The city centre is declining rapidly and if you ask people why, the answer almost always refers to the ‘Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users’.  There are other reasons of course but this is still a very significant problem.  Both for the individuals living this sad life and the general public who sometimes feel unsafe and intimidated in a city centre they find depressing and run down. The street people have complex issues that require complex support not bits of change from passers by.

If you still think ‘At the end of the day,  they will always choose what they want to do with their lives,  with their health and with their money. and that is their right.’, then consider what you would do if someone (not a street person) collapsed outside and was clearly physically very unwell but insisted they were fine.  Would you just leave them because it was ‘their choice’  or would you call for an ambulance because they clearly in a situation where they are unable to make a rational decision and their life could be in danger?

Charity have to pay wages and tax so not alot of cash left over after payouts!