Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

5 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Charity have to pay wages and tax so not alot of cash left over after payouts!

Yes, pay wages for people that have the skills to deliver the support needed.  Also charities have some tax exemptions. And are also helped by volunteers.
As I said, if you have concerns about the finances of the big charities, there are many smaller charities doing good work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

If you believe that what you are doing is "helping", that's up to you. 

I believe that as human beings, we have a right to walk down the street without being harassed for our hard earned money.

Some people do take a lot of telling.    I don't care what you believe  -  I make my own mind up.

6 hours ago, pfifes said:

I believe you are thinking with your heart rather than your head.  
I remember reading an interview with a man who had begged and had addictions but turned his life around.  He advised not to give to beggars as it just enabled them to fund their addictions and stopped them engaging with support.

Why then is it preferable to give to beggar rather than a charity?  There are smaller charities doing good work if you have concerns about CEO pay at the big charities etc.

I don’t believe sharing an opinion on this is being a ‘busybody’.  It’s not just about you personally. The city centre is declining rapidly and if you ask people why, the answer almost always refers to the ‘Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users’.  There are other reasons of course but this is still a very significant problem.  Both for the individuals living this sad life and the general public who sometimes feel unsafe and intimidated in a city centre they find depressing and run down. The street people have complex issues that require complex support not bits of change from passers by.

If you still think ‘At the end of the day,  they will always choose what they want to do with their lives,  with their health and with their money. and that is their right.’, then consider what you would do if someone (not a street person) collapsed outside and was clearly physically very unwell but insisted they were fine.  Would you just leave them because it was ‘their choice’  or would you call for an ambulance because they clearly in a situation where they are unable to make a rational decision and their life could be in danger?

Some people do take a lot of telling.    I don't care what you believe  -  I make my own mind up.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Who needs ‘a lot of telling’?  A person with a proper home who collapses but insists they are fine or a street person begging for money (which will very likely be spent on the addiction)?  If you are including the latter in this then you are doing the exact opposite if you give them money directly.

Of course you free to do as you choose.  I just hope no one comes to harm as a result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

Who needs ‘a lot of telling’?  A person with a proper home who collapses but insists they are fine or a street person begging for money (which will very likely be spent on the addiction)?  If you are including the latter in this then you are doing the exact opposite if you give them money directly.

Of course you free to do as you choose.  I just hope no one comes to harm as a result.

I was referring to you who needs a lot of telling.   Our views differ and I accept that you're entitled to yours so,  for Gods' sake shut up   because you will NOT change my mind.

50 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I was referring to you who needs a lot of telling.   Our views differ and I accept that you're entitled to yours so,  for Gods' sake shut up   because you will NOT change my mind.

Okay then, carry on handing all of your worldly goods to people who are taking advantage of the vulnerable and gullable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Okay then, carry on handing all of your worldly goods to people who are taking advantage of the vulnerable and gullable.

Wait till he gets burgled by a crackhead (god forbid)I did and had to take my children to my mother's while we cleared up the mess he even turned mattresses over got 5 years jail.for multiple burglaries around wincobank and Kimberworth Park. Hope it never happens again !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, gaz 786 said:

Wait till he gets burgled by a crackhead (god forbid)I did and had to take my children to my mother's while we cleared up the mess he even turned mattresses over got 5 years jail.for multiple burglaries around wincobank and Kimberworth Park. Hope it never happens again !

That's awful, sorry that happened. This is the point I was trying to make, supporting lowlifes encourages this kind of behaviour.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

That's awful, sorry that happened. This is the point I was trying to make, supporting lowlifes encourages this kind of behaviour.

Was over 10 years ago the lowlife got in through the cat flap !apparently he died so I've had the last laugh .

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Okay then, carry on handing all of your worldly goods to people who are taking advantage of the vulnerable and gullable.  gullible.

Thank you for your kind permission but I would have done so anyway,  and now,  stop trying to rule everybody and keep your butt out of what other people do.

If you don't like those people,  complain to the coppers  ( they will probably tell you to do one, which is exactly what I would have done  ).  like it or live with it.

Edited by Organgrinder

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

It is interesting that you resort to being rude (telling me to ‘shut up’ and ‘saying for God’s sake’) whilst I’ve remained polite and respectful.  I think that is quite telling. 

Edited by pfifes
  • Like 2