Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

You are quite evidently not prepared to debate this point though are you?  I explained reasons why I believe giving cash to beggars is a problem and your response has been to tell me to ‘shut up’ (twice) and call me a ‘damned nuisance’.  
I can only conclude that’s because you don’t have an answer to issues by myself and others about the problems surrounding giving cash to beggars, so your only retort is to be rude and tell me to shut up.  I think we all know that nothing will change your mind on this issue but telling people to shut up because you have no defence for your opinion doesn’t help your case.  Quite the opposite.

Also, to the person that found your last post funny, you must be very easily amused.  Can you let us all know what pills you’re taking?

I will debate the point if you have anything new to say.  I presume though, that you are going to carry on saying the same which would make it a pointless exercise.

I understand that you believe it's best not to give to them and I still feel a responsibility to help them so what is there to debate as I won't change my mind and you probably won't either.

If I had the power to decide,  I would say that there would be no beggars / alcoholics / people living on the streets because there would be places of help for them and,  before you ask,

they would be funded by  rises in taxes if savings could not be made in other areas but I' m sure they could.  I would also ensure that the police had a permanent presence and made it felt.

As I don't have that power it's very much a moot point, so If you think I'm going to arse about over imaginary details,  you are mistaken.

For your part,  you are welcome to do as you please in the same way that I am.  As for what other posters say,  that's not my responsibility so you will have to live with it,  along with the beggars.

Edited by Organgrinder

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

I will debate the point if you have anything new to say.  I presume though, that you are going to carry on saying the same which would make it a pointless exercise.

I understand that you believe it's best not to give to them and I still feel a responsibility to help them so what is there to debate as I won't change my mind and you probably won't either.

If I had the power to decide,  I would say that there would be no beggars / alcoholics / people living on the streets because there would be places of help for them and,  before you ask,

they would be funded by  rises in taxes if savings could not be made in other areas but I' m sure they could.  I would also ensure that the police had a permanent presence and made it felt.

As I don't have that power it's very much a moot point, so If you think I'm going to arse about over imaginary details,  you are mistaken.

For your part,  you are welcome to do as you please in the same way that I am.  As for what other posters say,  that's not my responsibility so you will have to live with it,  along with the beggars.

Ah right, so now you’ve finally responded properly instead of just telling me to shut up (apart from getting a bit snotty saying you’re not going ‘arse about over imaginary details’), I do actually agree with everything you’ve said apart from your views on giving cash directly to street people.  Which I think we are never going to agree on. 
The world would better place if we listened to each other instead of being throwing insults every time someone has a different viewpoint.

Edited by pfifes
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Ah right, so now you’ve finally responded properly instead of just telling me to shut up (apart from getting a bit snotty saying you’re not going ‘arse about over imaginary details’), I do actually agree with everything you’ve said apart from your views on giving cash directly to street people.  Which I think we are never going to agree on. 
The world would better place if we listened to each other instead of being throwing insults every time someone has a different viewpoint.

I will always respond as I please whether you regard that as "being snotty" or not.

The option is there to ignore me if you wish.

Depends if you mean  "listening to other people"   or   "obeying other people".

I will listen but NOT obey.

4 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I will always respond as I please whether you regard that as "being snotty" or not.

The option is there to ignore me if you wish.

Depends if you mean  "listening to other people"   or   "obeying other people".

I will listen but NOT obey.

You have just chosen to reply only to the bits of my reply you didn’t like even though I’m actually largely in agreement with you on this thread subject apart from one thing.

All of this ‘I will NOT obey’ stuff sounds like nonsense from conspiracy theorists. No one is asking you to obey, it’s just a forum for discussion and debate and obviously not everyone is going to agree with each other all the time.  But we might learn if we remain civil.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

You have just chosen to reply only to the bits of my reply you didn’t like even though I’m actually largely in agreement with you on this thread subject apart from one thing.

All of this ‘I will NOT obey’ stuff sounds like nonsense from conspiracy theorists. No one is asking you to obey, it’s just a forum for discussion and debate and obviously not everyone is going to agree with each other all the time.  But we might learn if we remain civil.

I do always choose to reply to the bits I wish to reply to so that's something you will have to live with.

I am no more amenable to being told what to discuss as I am at being told who I can give money to.  I generally like people to ask me to do something rather than tell me.

We seem to have discussed the beggars etc and agreed to disagree.  I've always understood that we won't all agree ,  and I did say, you are welcome to do as you please.

You sound very much like harvey19 to me and,  if you are,  you should know me well enough to know that I don't go around the houses if I have something to say.

Either say something useful harvey,  or shut up please,  and put me on ignore.  I have told you that before.

Edited by Organgrinder

Just witnessed another shoplifter in the same Co-op store as last week! 

His padded jacket pockets were absolutely crammed, but he only registered two items on the self-service machine before walking out.

I stood at one of the three tills, waiting for service.....nobody there, of course. It must be a dream for 'lifters.

Two staff elsewhere, filling chillers. I whistled. Nothing. 

Five minutes? Maybe nearer ten.

I shouted down one of the aisles "Anyone serving?", and eventually a young lass appeared.

I told her "If you check your CCTV you'll see a bloke in a purple jacket ripping you off down the drinks aisle...."

She looked at me. It simply didn't compute. I might've well said it in a foreign language.

Not a word. No emotion whatsoever. 

She finished scanning my goods, before I asked for a book of 1st class stamps.

"We do sell them, but I don't know where they are...."

And that was it! No searching round. That was her answer, and you, the customer, stand there and "accept" it.

How do these people get through an interview?!

No wonder these shops are getting problems with shoplifters. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

Just witnessed another shoplifter in the same Co-op store as last week! 

His padded jacket pockets were absolutely crammed, but he only registered two items on the self-service machine before walking out.

I stood at one of the three tills, waiting for service.....nobody there, of course. It must be a dream for 'lifters.

Two staff elsewhere, filling chillers. I whistled. Nothing. 

Five minutes? Maybe nearer ten.

I shouted down one of the aisles "Anyone serving?", and eventually a young lass appeared.

I told her "If you check your CCTV you'll see a bloke in a purple jacket ripping you off down the drinks aisle...."

She looked at me. It simply didn't compute. I might've well said it in a foreign language.

Not a word. No emotion whatsoever. 

She finished scanning my goods, before I asked for a book of 1st class stamps.

"We do sell them, but I don't know where they are...."

And that was it! No searching round. That was her answer, and you, the customer, stand there and "accept" it.

How do these people get through an interview?!

No wonder these shops are getting problems with shoplifters. 

Don't go in there again ,if you can help it .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

By all means do if you wish.    I  am quite prepared to argue / debate or whatever you like to call it but I will not be told what to do by people on this forum.

You can also be free with insults and emotional rants if you wish  because that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

All you need to do is mind your own business when you are told but you obviously want to carry on to prove I lost an argument.

Regarding the argument,  I said that I would carry on doing what I wished and that is exactly what I'll do so that is not a loss to me.

My bold

Just WOW! 

If that's not the pot calling the kettle an appliance of colour I don't know what is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1