Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

54 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The one that was running around The Moor attacking didn't seem nice at all.

Obviously,  they're not all nice but most are.

like  people,  a lot depends on the environment they come from.

Wherever you see a nasty dog,  you can bet the owners are usually like that too,  or daft and nice people usually have nice dogs.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

How would anyone know if someone resembling a beggar was a street sleeper or a Salvation Army Hostel dweller? I’m not likely to walk the streets of Sheffield in the dead of night looking for folk sleeping in say, shop doorways?

They all strangely disappear at night, miraculous isn't it? Don't be fooled by them. Your money is for you to spend. 

50 minutes ago, cressida said:

Not nice,  in the genes?

Bull dog breeds are bred for blood sports. They are selected for their aggressive nature. Originally, used by the wealthy at the beginning of the last century for entertainment, now they are used by drug dealers and thugs to intimidate people and show their "status". Some of them even get their ears cropped to make them look more aggressive.

7 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

That's true,   and there is also the fact that some rough sleepers will have had the dog before they became homeless.

If someone wants to hang on to the only true friend they have in the world,  that's fine by me.

Some dogs are far nicer than some people. 

I get where you are coming from but what about the poor dogs?!??  A true animal lover wouldn’t want a dog living with beggar.  Even if the dog is properly fed it’s a miserable life for the dog.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I get where you are coming from but what about the poor dogs?!??  A true animal lover wouldn’t want a dog living with beggar.  Even if the dog is properly fed it’s a miserable life for the dog.  

I do agree with that sentiment.  People and their dogs though,  can be like people and their children,  and some people seem to create a much stronger emotional attachment than others ever manage to do.

A loving faithful dog very often would sooner die than be separated from the person he / she loves and some owners feel exactly the same way.

In view of that,  I don't take it upon myself to judge the rights and wrongs of the situation  -  at the end of the day,  who am I,  to decide the happiness or misery of others.

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I do agree with that sentiment.  People and their dogs though,  can be like people and their children,  and some people seem to create a much stronger emotional attachment than others ever manage to do.

A loving faithful dog very often would sooner die than be separated from the person he / she loves and some owners feel exactly the same way.

In view of that,  I don't take it upon myself to judge the rights and wrongs of the situation  -  at the end of the day,  who am I,  to decide the happiness or misery of others.

Dogs aren't humans. They easily move on with a loving home. It's animal neglect and abuse to keep a dog out on the street, day in, day out in my opinion. I doubt the beggar has poo bags too.

49 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Dogs aren't humans. They easily move on with a loving home. It's animal neglect and abuse to keep a dog out on the street, day in, day out in my opinion. I doubt the beggar has poo bags too.

Agreed.  And what if the dog needs medical attention?  I know there’s the PDSA but how can someone who can’t even take care of themselves properly be responsible for looking after a dog after it’s had veterinary treatment?  
Owning a dog is a significant responsibility and commitment.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

Agreed.  And what if the dog needs medical attention?  I know there’s the PDSA but how can someone who can’t even take care of themselves properly be responsible for looking after a dog after it’s had veterinary treatment?  
Owning a dog is a significant responsibility and commitment.  

That's so true.

Eight or so years ago my labrador - 1 year old - attacked a pedestrian who happened to be walking in the opposite direction. I say attacked, but in truth all he did was manage to rip the bloke's jacket sleeve. 

He was none to pleased, suffice to say, and stated that his jacket had cost him £60 not that long before. I gave him my phone number and said I'd refund the cost of the jacket. (By the time I got home - 30 minutes later? - he'd rung to check that I'd given him a correct number! Nice!)

All that said, I dropped off the cash to his home address within a day-or-so, and because the bloke could've caused further grief - he was HR Director or somesuch at the Derbyshire Council - I decided to have the labrador put down, and although my vet wasn't impressed with my decision, it went ahead a few days later.

So yes, they are a responsibility, and need keeping under control.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

That's so true.

Eight or so years ago my labrador - 1 year old - attacked a pedestrian who happened to be walking in the opposite direction. I say attacked, but in truth all he did was manage to rip the bloke's jacket sleeve. 

He was none to pleased, suffice to say, and stated that his jacket had cost him £60 not that long before. I gave him my phone number and said I'd refund the cost of the jacket. (By the time I got home - 30 minutes later? - he'd rung to check that I'd given him a correct number! Nice!)

All that said, I dropped off the cash to his home address within a day-or-so, and because the bloke could've caused further grief - he was HR Director or somesuch at the Derbyshire Council - I decided to have the labrador put down, and although my vet wasn't impressed with my decision, it went ahead a few days later.

So yes, they are a responsibility, and need keeping under control.

Thank you for being a responsible dog owner. The owners of bull dogs have no consideration for others though. I am very surprised that a Labrador bit, they are generally very loving and playful beings. I totally agree with your decision though. If the doggie had bit a toddler, the outcome could have been devastating. If only more dog owners were like you. 

• Like 1