Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I like hillsbro, plenty of shops etc. its better than city centre, also iv"e never had a problem with beggars. you shop in hillsbro trish, just wondered what your opinion was.

Hillsborough is where I shop and I've never seen any beggars there. Only the man selling the mags for Shelter and The Salvation Army man.

There was a beggar with a dog outside NatWest on ecclesall road. Why on earth is someone who supposedly has to beg for money on the street keeping a dog?!?? :suspect:

Please folks, don't give them money. Give to a homeless charity if want to give some real help. Handing over money on the street is helping no one.

Red ruby, I agree. The last few times I've been to Aldi on Flora Street there's been a young man sitting near the trolleys. Anyone going in or out of the shop has to pass nearby. I saw a couple of well meaning people yesterday giving him money. That will no doubt encourage him to keep returning. At one time I might have spoken to him, to find out if he knew what help is available. After my last experience I'm reluctant. So I don't know whether or not he's genuine.

Instead of giving money directly, I prefer to put a couple of boxes together for the Archer project.

There was a beggar with a dog outside NatWest on ecclesall road. Why on earth is someone who supposedly has to beg for money on the street keeping a dog?!?? :suspect:

Please folks, don't give them money. Give to a homeless charity if want to give some real help. Handing over money on the street is helping no one.

I agree about supporting charities rather than giving directly to people on the street, but if I was living rough I'd probably want a dog too, partly for safety and partly for some companionship...

Red ruby, I agree. The last few times I've been to Aldi on Flora Street there's been a young man sitting near the trolleys. Anyone going in or out of the shop has to pass nearby. I saw a couple of well meaning people yesterday giving him money. That will no doubt encourage him to keep returning. At one time I might have spoken to him, to find out if he knew what help is available. After my last experience I'm reluctant. So I don't know whether or not he's genuine.

Instead of giving money directly, I prefer to put a couple of boxes together for the Archer project.

All they have to do is sit in one of the begging spots for a few hours and its £20 in the pocket.

They even take it in shifts.

Any remember a few years ago that you used to get the whole story of 50p for a bus to Rotherham because their mum is sick?

They dont even have to come up with a story anymore. JUst sit on your backside and make more than minimum wage tax free.

All people are doing is giving them an incentive not to improve their life. They are enabling them.

Dont give to them. They are buying drugs with the money.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

All they have to do is sit in one of the begging spots for a few hours and its £20 in the pocket.

Any remember a few years ago that you used to get the whole story of 50p for a bus to Rotherham because their mum is sick?

They dont even have to come up with a story anymore. JUst sit on your backside and make more than minimum wage tax free.

All your doing is giving them an incentive not to improve their life. You are enabling them.

Dont give to them. They are buying drugs with your money.

It's their money surely.

All people are doing is giving them an incentive not to improve their life. They are enabling them.

Dont give to them. They are buying drugs with the money.

They get a lot more than £20 an hour from this. You're absolutely right. You may as well give money to the drug dealer that can be found lingering nearby.

There is also a growing problem with people getting trains into Sheffield to beg now, as it seen as so lucrative.

Give to charities.