Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

51 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Why do they need to consider this ?

Simply because it is something that needs to go through a proper consultation to be ratified into bylaws, that’s all.

40 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

And quickly . Wonder why this was not done years ago .

The powers for these kind of public space orders were only fairly recently given over to local authorities I understand.

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Why do they need to consider this ?

Because the country is rife with petty bureaucracy, where more time is devoted to discussing issues and coming up with plans than actually cracking on with the task at hand. In my workplace we have meetings to discuss future meetings...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, francypants said:

Begging in a public place is already illegal  ........   what's to consider ?    

Problem is, some don't directly ask so can't technically be accused of begging.  Some just sit there & stupid people just hand over their money.  One woman who hangs around Fargate & outside the Hallam Cathedral just shakes a tin cup. 

Also I  believe that someone asking you "Do you have any spare change?" Doesn't constitute begging.  Although in my book there's no such thing as spare change. 

One day I might be 1p short of being a millionaire & how stupid will I feel that I gave it to some drug-addled, spiced up pot-head scum, laid flat on his / her back outside Costa Coffee? 

• Like 1

It sounds like a no brainer.  But I can’t help wondering if it will just push the begging out of the city centre into suburbs?  In which case, I think the lesser evil is to leave them to it in town unless they crack down on begging everywhere.

And just to be clear, I do understand the complexities of begging, addiction, homelessness etc.   But it needs to be addressed properly, the folk handing out cash to beggars are basically lining the pockets of dealers and that money could be put to much better use to help those in need.

Edited by pfifes
  • Like 1