Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

34 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I have been going to or walking past/through both CSC and Leah's Yard very regularly in the weeks since they opened, mid-week and weekends, and I honestly haven't yet seen a single beggar anywhere near them, or the adjacent Cambridge Street/Wellington Street areas. 

There's usually a couple of beggars/homeless around Sainsburys/Lloyds on Division Street, that's it.

And neither CSC or Leah's Yard appear to have been struggling for footfall so far that I have noticed?

It's as if he was talking utter rubbish, isn't it? 

3 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Presumably, they are enforcing a Public Spaces Protection Order? Sheffield City Council has recently consulted on one for Sheffield, we're just waiting for it to pass full council and come into power as I understand it.

Yes I think you are right about a Public Spaces  Protection Order, it suddenly started over night at the beginning of summer. It was definitely needed in the small town centre of Gateshead.  You couldn’t sit on public seats because of the drunks, druggies and beggars sitting there. Occasionally you still see them, but it’s not every day as it use to be, I think for now they have got the message that the police are on a mission to move them on.

Sheffield was exactly the same as Newcastle before the The Public Spaces Protection Order was enforced, some days there was just a few beggars here and there and other days there was more of them.  There is still beggars in Newcastle, but it’s not as bad as it use to be and it’s not unusual to see the police move them on, that’s something that never happened in the past.

• Like 1

I think for me the frustrating thing is we may have quite a few homeless. The actual problem group is only about 18 maybe 20 people tops. Begging, taking drugs, dealing drugs, stealing from shops being abusive to passers by and the poor shop staff who have to deal with it. 

The authorities dont seem to ever give them any support other than produce fancy booklets like this one

City centre business and retail (sheffield.gov.uk)

Whenever you hear about the authorities doing out reach they always butter up the language complex needs and chaotic lives. 

No they need some tough love to tell them what they are doing is not acceptable. 

It needs stronger measures.

• Like 2

Seen this woman begging outside the exit of Ozmen's ever since it opened around 2018. How on earth hasn't she been moved on by now?! lol

You used to get the knobheads acting up outside Budgens on London Road, or the nearby ALDI, but it's fairly uncommon now. 

36 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i thought SCC had to sort out homeless people and help them sort out there claims so begging would not be needed, surely this is better or is that untrue?

"hi there homeless person, would you like some help?" 

"no thank you" 

Step out of your nice little bubble for 5 mins and grasp that not every homeless person wants the help, for various reasons. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

"hi there homeless person, would you like some help?" 

"no thank you" 

Step out of your nice little bubble for 5 mins and grasp that not every homeless person wants the help, for various reasons. 

I really dont get why they dont want help. If its a choice between being in a house or being on the streets surely the house is better?