Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Last January I went to Nandos on West street.

We came out and it was freezing, drizzling and awful. There was a young woman sat outside. She wasnt asking for anything, just sat with her head down and her arms wrapped around herself. I gave her the change I had and in doing so touched her hand. It was like ice. so I gave her my gloves too and she started crying.

Our taxi was waiting so I left her and got in it and my step-dad said 'you do know she'll just go and buy some alcohol or something with that?' and all I could think was if thats what it takes to get her through the night I dont even care.

I know its better to give to charities etc, but at the time I felt she was 100% genuine and my only regret is that I walked away and left her there.

Edited by nikki-red

Guest makapaka
your not making a bad job of it. but wasting your breath.

Have you read the thread beforehand?

The last post made by the poster you have quoted was a worry about the affect of beggars on pensioners......

Really?

I had some work at Eldon court off west street recently and the local old bill came in to sort out two of their spice dealers,one of the OB told me that the beggars around Tescos regulary pull in 100 to 150 a day on top of his benefits,not bad going,beats working for a living and tax free

I had some work at Eldon court off west street recently and the local old bill came in to sort out two of their spice dealers,one of the OB told me that the beggars around Tescos regulary pull in 100 to 150 a day on top of his benefits,not bad going,beats working for a living and tax free

There's only one then?

Last January I went to Nandos on West street.

We came out and it was freezing, drizzling and awful. There was a young woman sat outside. She wasnt asking for anything, just sat with her head down and her arms wrapped around herself. I gave her the change I had and in doing so touched her hand. It was like ice. so I gave her my gloves too and she started crying.

Our taxi was waiting so I left her and got in it and my step-dad said 'you do know she'll just go and buy some alcohol or something with that?' and all I could think was if thats what it takes to get her through the night I dont even care.

I know its better to give to charities etc, but at the time I felt she was 100% genuine and my only regret is that I walked away and left her there.

I share your sympathy but what else could you have done? Do you suspect she was genuine homeless as opposed to an alco or druggie?