Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Yes,

What could possibly go wrong !

Whoever thought of this idea has obviously no idea whatsoever how people on passported benefits exist.

I heard at the time that it was done that way because when the rent was paid directly to landlords the labor government just gave them whatever they asked,thereby causing rents to spiral out of control. Giving the money to tenants meant landlords couldn't get too greedy.

I heard at the time that it was done that way because when the rent was paid directly to landlords the labor government just gave them whatever they asked,thereby causing rents to spiral out of control. Giving the money to tenants meant landlords couldn't get too greedy.

Yes, I think this is probably true, but giving the money direct to tenants who are constantly having to rob Peter to pay Paul is not going to help. Rents haven't come down, homelessness has gone up.

Rent controls would be a better idea.

---------- Post added 18-12-2017 at 10:11 ----------

It's also a population issue. Rent is so high because demand is so high. Whatever your thoughts om immigration it's a fact that the population has increased hugely in the past 5 or ten years. We're a relatively small island that doesn't have the infrastructure to cope with that

Some cite the solution as buildimg huge amounts more houses- which inevitably means destroying green belt land, which no one really wants to happen.

It sometimes baffles me that the 'come one come all' attitude to mass migration the blair years adopted tp mass migration didn't foresee this. Allegations of racism and xenophobia arpund discussions of the issue made it something you couldn't say, but the simple fact of the matter is that far too many people flooded in. Hence wages down, rent costs up. Supply and demand. And it doesn't make you in any way a bigot, a right winger to state that. The fact that those who did in the past were so often branded as such is a big contributer to why we have auch public frustration and unrest.

Yes, I think I agree with this too, (especially the bit in bold.) I wish I didn't. A world without borders would be a fine thing, but the world is not ideal so IMO we need controlled immigration for the time being.

Edited by Anna B

It's also a population issue. Rent is so high because demand is so high. Whatever your thoughts om immigration it's a fact that the population has increased hugely in the past 5 or ten years. We're a relatively small island that doesn't have the infrastructure to cope with that

Some cite the solution as buildimg huge amounts more houses- which inevitably means destroying green belt land, which no one really wants to happen.

It sometimes baffles me that the 'come one come all' attitude to mass migration the blair years adopted tp mass migration didn't foresee this. Allegations of racism and xenophobia arpund discussions of the issue made it something you couldn't say, but the simple fact of the matter is that far too many people flooded in. Hence wages down, rent costs up. Supply and demand. And it doesn't make you in any way a bigot, a right winger to state that. The fact that those who did in the past were so often branded as such is a big contributer to why we have auch public frustration and unrest.

Sadly it is true. Ive said the same thing and been made to feel like I'm being self centred and prejudiced but mass immigration cannot be sustainable for the uk. Overcrowding, high rents, young people unable to afford to buy a house, green belt built on, overburdened nhs, overcrowded schools, pollution for too much traffic....and so on.

Yes, I think this is probably true, but giving the money direct to tenants who are constantly having to rob Peter to pay Paul is not going to help. Rents haven't come down, homelessness has gone up.

I agree there is an issue with rent levels in some parts of the UK, but I'm not sure that paying landlords directly was the most sensible move. When we had a period on benefits in the 70s, (young family, private rented house) the first thing I put to one side was always the rent money. That's what most people did. Some had tins for rent, coal, electric, milkman etc. People mainly lived in housing that reflected their income. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it wrong that before the cap, housing benefits was paying long term for some of the most expensive private housing in London.

I've heard people in more recent years refer to free housing, and witnessed problems when previous benefit claimants got work and put nothing aside for rent. Of course there will be some who need support and help, but surely the majority of adults are equipped to take responsibility for themselves.

---------- Post added 18-12-2017 at 10:11 ----------

[/b]

Yes, I think I agree with this too, (especially the bit in bold.) I wish I didn't. A world without borders would be a fine thing, but the world is not ideal so IMO we need controlled immigration for the time being.

I agree on that too.

I agree there is an issue with rent levels in some parts of the UK, but I'm not sure that paying landlords directly was the most sensible move. When we had a period on benefits in the 70s, (young family, private rented house) the first thing I put to one side was always the rent money. That's what most people did. Some had tins for rent, coal, electric, milkman etc. People mainly lived in housing that reflected their income. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it wrong that before the cap, housing benefits was paying long term for some of the most expensive private housing in London.

I've heard people in more recent years refer to free housing, and witnessed problems when previous benefit claimants got work and put nothing aside for rent. Of course there will be some who need support and help, but surely the majority of adults are equipped to take responsibility for themselves.

I agree with this.

Yes there will be those that struggle initially with budgeting. However giving responsibility to people and treating them as adults is no bad thing. That is one of the reasons I support the idea of benefits in money rather than food vouchers, which I think are demeaning.

I agree with this.

Yes there will be those that struggle initially with budgeting. However giving responsibility to people and treating them as adults is no bad thing. That is one of the reasons I support the idea of benefits in money rather than food vouchers, which I think are demeaning.

Demeaning maybe, and on the whole I agree with you, but with vouchers at least some kids will get food instead of vodka and fags.

Lots of laughing and joking in this thread despite it being an incredibly sensitive subject. Hmmm...

I'd like to say that it's gallows humour that motivated people to laugh and joke about it. However given the callous and vituperative nature of some of the posts on here, I actually think not only some people couldn't care less that people are homeless or begging, they quite enjoy seeing people desperate and humiliated.

Lots of laughing and joking in this thread despite it being an incredibly sensitive subject. Hmmm...

Good. Its an internet debate not a political broadcast.

People are entitled to their various opinions including those who choose to criticise and those who choose to jest.

"Senistive subject" I am not so sure about. Lets be frank. This is not a new story. Beggars and Homeless people have been part of society since year dot.

Can we also just all agree for the sake of this forum that not ALL beggars are genuine. Not ALL those sitting there are street homeless. Just the same that not ALL critical commenters on here are uncaring and not ALL wealthy people are corporate tax avoiding monsters.