Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Saw a report on the BEAM charity that helps 'genuine' homeless on Sky News this morning.

https://www.wearebeam.org/

Seems a better way to help

While I wouldn't argue that BEAM is a worthwhile charity doing good work, it barely scratches the surface of the problem. Too many homeless have an enormous amount of baggage that needs sorting before they can even think about embarking on this sort of project.

Genuine homeless lead chaotic lives with multiple problems and many suffer from addictions and mental illness. They are the one's who have been failed by 'care in the community' and would probably be better cared for in hospital.

While I wouldn't argue that BEAM is a worthwhile charity doing good work, it barely scratches the surface of the problem. Too many homeless have an enormous amount of baggage that needs sorting before they can even think about embarking on this sort of project.

Genuine homeless lead chaotic lives with multiple problems and many suffer from addictions and mental illness. They are the one's who have been failed by 'care in the community' and would probably be better cared for in hospital.

Since when have homeless people been classed as mentally ill, drug addicts etc thats very insulting to genuine homeless people, and my post IS a serious one.

Since when have homeless people been classed as mentally ill, drug addicts etc thats very insulting to genuine homeless people, and my post IS a serious one.

I'm glad that you're concerned about the feelings of genuine homeless people, but being labelled as having mental health or substance misuse problems by someone on an internet forum is the least of their concerns. Especially in this weather.

I'm glad that you're concerned about the feelings of genuine homeless people, but being labelled as having mental health or substance misuse problems by someone on an internet forum is the least of their concerns. Especially in this weather.

I may agree with you BUT, being homeless does NOT mean they are sleeping rough. they usually do have a roof over there heads, i would also be surprised if there wasn't homeless people reading this. They are not beggars in the sense of this thread, they are victims of circumstance like being evicted by greedy landlords, and certainly not alcoholics - mentally ill or substance abuse people full stop.

• 4 months later...

Looks like positive and sensible steps are being taken.

Good to see a realistic and informed approach being taken - as well as attempts being made to raise awareness of the importance of not giving to beggars and how few are homeless, whilst helping those with drink/drug problems, and potentially taking further action on those who refuse to engage.

Seems a very positive approach to a problem to me.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/police-tackle-begging-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-9168756

Unfortunately it seems even worse now. Approached five times yesterday including twice while sitting eating a meal!

So far I've only had this problem when having a beer outside The Globe / The Howard / The Sheffield Tap. It's happened multiple times each time I've had a drink there. Seems to be a usual run for them as I have asked other people I know and they have experienced the same.

So far I've only had this problem when having a beer outside The Globe / The Howard / The Sheffield Tap. It's happened multiple times each time I've had a drink there. Seems to be a usual run for them as I have asked other people I know and they have experienced the same.

Train station is a prime location. Not least because a lot of them get the train in from other places to Sheffield to do their begging for the day. People have actually started coming from quite far afield now, as other places clamp down on it.

The only thing that will have a major impact is if people actually started listening to advice from experts, actually looked a what is going on, and didn't give these people any more money. Sadly, they don't, so the cycle continues.