Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I don;t know if it's just 'some' or not. NBut it's certainly not 'all'. I tend to get into Sheffield about 7am on a morning as I miss the rush hour and get a decent parking spot. I have noticed, on average, around half a dozen sleeping rough in doorways every morning on my reasonably short walk from the car to the office.

I fail to believe that even professional beggars get up and into town at this time, just to set up and catch a few more zzzz's before their day of begging starts. So I'm pretty sure these are genuine homeless, for whatever reason.

There are many who do just as you suggest - have accommodation but choose not to sleep in it in order to take advantage of people going to work, or make an early start. The rough sleeper figures are always between 12-20, which across the city the size of Sheffield is tiny.When you also factor in that of that 12-20 a lot of them will have refused accommodation, and made the choice to sleep on the street, there really is no problem with homelessness in Sheffield of any scale.

There IS a problem though with drink and drug abuse, and exploitation of the vulnerable. Those three issues are very different matters - and unfortunately giving to begging is encouraging those issues, rather than helping them be combated.

Edited by paula4sheff

'Some', not all, not a majority. One paper article (with an agenda) isn't proof.

Its enough to back up pattricia's post which you seemed to jump on.

Can you prove it isn't happening or true or are you just the forum's beggar apologist?

Its enough to back up pattricia's post which you seemed to jump on.

Can you prove it isn't happening or true or are you just the forum's beggar apologist?

The thing is - there isn't one single charity or organisation that work in this area that will say it ISN'T happening, and not one of them will say it's a good thing to give to beggars.

Every expert says giving to begging makes problems worse and is stopping them doing their job and helping people. Yet weirdly, people still want to believe that there are many homeless who are 'just looking for a room for the night'. Why?

It's a very strange situation when you consider it - people totally ignoring all and every bit of evidence and advice and making their own minds up on something, based on nothing.

ANY form of begging on the streets should be BANNED.!

That might sound harsh...But if an outright ban was imposed then we wouldn't have this problem and more importantly the 'Beggars' would actually HAVE to do something more productive about their situation instead of begging on the streets.

Are we still living in the dark ages? It's 2018..!!

ANY form of begging on the streets should be BANNED.!

That might sound harsh...But if an outright ban was imposed then we wouldn't have this problem and more importantly the 'Beggars' would actually HAVE to do something more productive about their situation instead of begging on the streets.

Are we still living in the dark ages? It's 2018..!!

Yep, but how do you ban them:huh:

I was on a bus recently and watched a beggar outside a shop for about 5 minutes while waiting for the bus to set off. Three passers by gave him money in that 5 minutes. If they all gave him, say, a pound, that would be £3 for 5 minutes 'work' which would add up to £36 for a hours 'work' if people carried on donating. If it carried on for a working day of 7 hours that would be £252. Over a 5 day working week that would £1260. Tax free. Obviously this is over simplifying the potential 'income' from begging but it does give a sense of why people do this. The vulnerable people out there need help to sort their lives out and however well meant it is, giving out money to beggars on the street does no one any favours in the long run.

Edited by redruby