Badge - Foreign

I can't actually see the point in it. Though something like this should hardly be a surprise when we've been forced to give our nationality and ethnic origin on virtually every form we have filled in for the last 20 years - what's the point in collecting data like that if you aren't going to release it?

Because it is discriminatory? Your ethnic origin doesn't determine your nationality unless you're the BNP.

This might be a shock to some but employers are taking on the best and most qualified candidate, not because they are foreign. Being British doesn't automatically make you head and shoulders above every other European.

Firstly, my post is clearly satirical, secondly, satire always picks on real life issues. What Rudd said is despicable, the tone of the conference in general was despicable. They are, as Corbyn rightly stated, fuelling the xenophobic agenda.

I realise you are English and see this as a bit of a nonsense, but people like me, Loob and plenty other hard working migrants in this country will read rabid nonsense like this and realise that the tone of dialogue has changed even more towards the anti-immigrant agenda than we anticipated at Brexit.

Sometimes it pays to read in a different voice to your usual one, it is a well known tactic for journalists, try reading these comments from my perspective and see how this 'conference talk' impacts on me.

I worked in your country illegally. I worked 12 hour shifts 7 days a week, an 84 hour week when 35 was the maximum.

No one found out, job done :thumbsup:

Because it is discriminatory? Your ethnic origin doesn't determine your nationality unless you're the BNP.

This might be a shock to some but employers are taking on the best and most qualified candidate, not because they are foreign. Being British doesn't automatically make you head and shoulders above every other European.

If a company goes public with it's staff nationalities - the policy under discussion, not the pie in the sky scaremongering mentioned elsewhere in this thread - who does it discriminate against?

---------- Post added 06-10-2016 at 00:35 ----------

Couldn't one extract this info from the census?

(I have yet to see this speech....)

If you mean the national census that is only taken once every ten years, then you see the problem; that data is already five years old and would need some heavy error prone work to match people with employers to get the data out.

What should that figure be? Do we have a special badge for those on benefits who only take tax money from the rest of us who work hard and provide for them?

Don't badmouth our royal family like that.

Just after WW2 the ex POWs wore a white square of material on the back of their

Blousons.

An idea worth pursuing?

Only joking.

I worked for a multinational company and with a German PhD. an Indian PhD,two Italian graduates, one of whom learned his English in Huddersfield and had lost his Italian accent and gained a northern one, a French graduate two British PhDs and three British graduates.

And we all got on.

I've had three recent deliveries and all the drivers were East Europeans and very polite.

Xenophobia? Not in our Lab.

Edited by davyboy

If a company goes public with it's staff nationalities - the policy under discussion, not the pie in the sky scaremongering mentioned elsewhere in this thread - who does it discriminate against?

---------- Post added 06-10-2016 at 00:35 ----------

If you mean the national census that is only taken once every ten years, then you see the problem; that data is already five years old and would need some heavy error prone work to match people with employers to get the data out.

For what possible reason? What purpose does it serve?

A business should concern itself with employing the most able staff, not their nationality or ethnic background.

If those staff happen not to be "British", whatever that means, then that's tough on those "Brits" who, quite frankly, should have tried harder at school.

A business should concern itself with employing the most able staff, not their nationality or ethnic background.
Nationality is currently a protected characteristic under the Equality Act, which means that businesses are not currently allowed to discriminate on nationality by law...yet.

Likewise if companies should be asked to publish details of their employees' non-British nationality, this would currently amount to both discrimination and a fundamental breach of the DPA...for now.

There is, after all, a Great Reapeal Act just around the corner, isn't there?

This policy announcement should be seen for what it really is, insofar as employees -including Brit nationals- are concerned: just another barely disguised thin edge of the wedge sledgehammer which the harder right of the Tory body will apply to employment laws and conditions post-EU membership.

The smart and highly-skilled foreigners, which May wishes to attract to the exclusion of lower skilled and unskilled immigrants (according to her, Rudd's and the other's policy statements), are highly likely to consider being 'listed as a foreigner' a major turn-off. A very very major turn-off. Too right they should.

Edited by L00b

Nationality is currently a protected characteristic under the Equality Act, which means that businesses are not currently allowed to discriminate on nationality by law...

...Yet.

There is, after all, a Great Reapeal Act just around the corner, isn't there?

This policy announcement should be seen for what it really is, insofar as employees -including Brit nationals- are concerned: just another barely disguised thin edge of the wedge sledgehammer which the harder right of the Tory body will apply to employment laws and conditions post-EU membership.

Canada requires an employer considering a foreigner to demonstrate first that a Canadian can't do the job well enough. I think this is more honoured in the breach, but still....

It would be a great shame if we ended up with even half of that law. This is supposed to be a meritocracy.