Badge - Foreign

Good on you for insulting the mindless bigot, but Polish is not a race.

Now if you were able to determine that the mindless bigot was acting out of disdain for Slavic people. That's a different matter.

So the Polish don't aren't a group of people sharing the same culture, history or language?

So racism can't occur between white people according to you which is what you are inferring :loopy:

So the Polish don't aren't a group of people sharing the same culture, history or language?

So racism can't occur between white people according to you which is what you are inferring :loopy:

It's generally a good idea to check your facts before mocking other people or you look especially ridiculous.

I'll say it slowly for you:

The 'rac' in racism is a contraction of the word 'race'. So it pertains to race you see. In order for somebody to be a racist and not just a regular bigot, they have to be motivated by race. Polish nationality, although it may be correlated with race as the racial mix in Poland does differ from that in the UK, is not a race but a nationality. Do you see how that works?

If you read further I point out that the bigot in question might in fact be a racist if he's aware that Poles are largely Slavic which is a race and he's acting out of a belief in his superiority to Slavs and simply not explaining his bigotry properly in all the excitement of his hate crime.

Oh and even if you weren't talking rubbish, I'd have been implying, not inferring.

You see implying refers to what I suggest by what I say, where as inferring is what I deduce from what others say.

Edited by unbeliever

Racism is (and I quote) 'prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.'

British people and Polish people are the same race. People can be xenophobic against Polish people, but anyone claiming to be racist against polish people (who are also Caucasian) would be showing their ignorance (in more ways than one).

Racism is (and I quote) 'prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.'

British people and Polish people are the same race. People can be xenophobic against Polish people, but anyone claiming to be racist against polish people (who are also Caucasian) would be showing their ignorance (in more ways than one).

Perhaps. But in the vernacular, racism means dislike/prejudice towards the foreign. Like a Hoover means a vacuum cleaner. IMHO.

The BBC has a liberal crisis about what to call ISIS and refugees/migrants etc.

They use the word 'racist' in this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36634621

Edited by Santo

Perhaps. But in the vernacular, racism means dislike/prejudice towards the foreign. Like a Hoover means a vacuum cleaner. IMHO.

I guess its ok to be called a White B___ard then

You're correct, it has taken on that meaning in the vernacular, but pedants like myself still like to point out it is technically incorrect when referring to prejudice against people of the same race. I guess that's why it was in inverted commas.

Edited by Robin-H

You're correct, it has taken on that meaning in the vernacular, but pedants like myself still like to point out it is technically incorrect when referring to prejudice against people of the same race. I guess that's why it was in inverted commas.

What are the other races, in your view?