Serious legal action needed against car owners who park on pavements

Reduce dependence on the car?

Some posters seem to be suggesting they HAVE to park on the pavement. Really? Its your choice to live where you live, work where to do and own a car, you don't HAVE to park on the pavement.

Im sure I recently read somewhere that parking was an increasingly important consideration for people looking to move. If these charges are brought in perhaps people will give it even more thought?

Yes for the future I'd agree, but we have a clear issue now. So how do we move to your future model whilst finding a happy middle ground until then? Many people bought their houses and then needed a second car. Are you saying you'd move house even though you can legally park on your street?

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 14:55 ----------

Make narrower cars?

Problem solved! :hihi:

Yes for the future I'd agree, but we have a clear issue now. So how do we move to your future model whilst finding a happy middle ground until then? Many people bought their houses and then needed a second car. Are you saying you'd move house even though you can legally park on your street?

No im saying I probably wouldn't have brought a house if it was obvious parking was an issue. Parking, and a drive was an important factor in my last house purchase.

No im saying I probably wouldn't have brought a house if it was obvious parking was an issue. Parking, and a drive was an important factor in my last house purchase.

well presumably it wasn't an issue when lots of people bought terrace houses, and noticed all the existing owners parked half on the pavement. Its a bit much to expect them to anticipate future changes in the law. If the council really want to bring in such a law, then perhaps they could also build some car parks out in the suburbs to put all the cars in.

well presumably it wasn't an issue when lots of people bought terrace houses, and noticed all the existing owners parked half on the pavement. Its a bit much to expect them to anticipate future changes in the law. If the council really want to bring in such a law, then perhaps they could also build some car parks out in the suburbs to put all the cars in.

There are enough laws already in place that make driving over a kerb illegal.

There are enough laws already in place that make driving over a kerb illegal.

Well I am aware of a law from 1835 prohibiting this, but according to google the police have a policy of not enforcing it.

The point here is local governments are proposing to introduce a new law or procedure to punish people parking on pavements that will be enforced.

But in reality, people choose cheaper houses. People dont like flats, they like a semi with a drive - but people buy flats because they are cheaper.

Well I am aware of a law from 1835 prohibiting this, but according to google the police have a policy of not enforcing it.

The point here is local governments are proposing to introduce a new law or procedure to punish people parking on pavements that will be enforced.

Local government should maybe consider the issue of parking on new developments that allow roads to be so narrow that parking on them makes it pretty much impossible to drive down in a car let alone anything larger. Even with a drive homes now have more than one vehicle so it should be a consideration in the planning.

Local government should maybe consider the issue of parking on new developments that allow roads to be so narrow that parking on them makes it pretty much impossible to drive down in a car let alone anything larger. Even with a drive homes now have more than one vehicle so it should be a consideration in the planning.

Markets exist because people buy what they need, if someone needs a new house and space for two cars then buy a house with space for two cars. I am sure there are plenty of developments that meet this need.

If you have two cars and buy a house with one space then it will be up to you to find the solution, not housing developers.

Markets exist because people buy what they need, if someone needs a new house and space for two cars then buy a house with space for two cars. I am sure there are plenty of developments that meet this need.

If you have two cars and buy a house with one space then it will be up to you to find the solution, not housing developers.

Well clearly the solution is to park on the pavement. If developers are able to build to the same tired blueprint then it seems a teensy bit unfair to penalise the public for parkng 'inconsiderately' and in many cases people will buy what's offered out of necessity, if no one did then the market would doubtless alter to suit what people needed.

Reduce dependence on the car?

Some posters seem to be suggesting they HAVE to park on the pavement. Really? Its your choice to live where you live, work where to do and own a car, you don't HAVE to park on the pavement.

Im sure I recently read somewhere that parking was an increasingly important consideration for people looking to move. If these charges are brought in perhaps people will give it even more thought?

Given that people already live in terrace houses and already own and use cars, what do you suggest they do? Perhaps they can simply teleport to work and the shops, or the street can be made wider?

If parking became impossible due to legal changes then it would cause serious inconvenience to a large number of people in Sheffield, and probably even have an impact on house prices.

---------- Post added 06-04-2017 at 08:42 ----------

Parking isn't an issue, it would be if the law changed.