Serious legal action needed against car owners who park on pavements

Local government should maybe consider the issue of parking on new developments that allow roads to be so narrow that parking on them makes it pretty much impossible to drive down in a car let alone anything larger. Even with a drive homes now have more than one vehicle so it should be a consideration in the planning.

Where I live now the little estate only had planning permission granted if all house had 2 off road parking spaces each. Probably meant the developer lost an extra plot to build another house on to provide the spaces but is does mean we have no parking issues near me. But then there is a knock-on effect that now because of cars we are one house less than we could have been in a country with a massive house shortage so neither solution is ideal.

Given that people already live in terrace houses and already own and use cars, what do you suggest they do?

I suggest they stop moaning about parking but also stop assuming it is their right to park on the pavement.

---------- Post added 06-04-2017 at 09:41 ----------

Parking isn't an issue, it would be if the law changed.

Parking is an issue so the law will be changed, isn't that what this thread is about?

---------- Post added 06-04-2017 at 09:45 ----------

because of cars we are one house less than we could have been in a country with a massive house shortage so neither solution is ideal.

That is the trade off, housing density vs parking.

Councils have previously had maximum parking standards, the thinking being that more carparking promotes car use. I am glad they are taking a more pragmatic view.

Edited by the fonz

They aren't moaning about parking. Perhaps you've not really understood what this thread is about.

I suggest that they continue to park on the pavement as it's the only sensible way to park in some locations.

Parking isn't an issue at the moment is it. It will be if the law is changed, clearly.

Where I live now the little estate only had planning permission granted if all house had 2 off road parking spaces each. Probably meant the developer lost an extra plot to build another house on to provide the spaces but is does mean we have no parking issues near me. But then there is a knock-on effect that now because of cars we are one house less than we could have been in a country with a massive house shortage so neither solution is ideal.

I know, it's catch 22

Another alternative would be to build equal sized homes throughout instead of electing to build a group of larger properties toward the end of cul de sac for instance and still making courteous parking a proviso.

They aren't moaning about parking. Perhaps you've not really understood what this thread is about.

I suggest that they continue to park on the pavement as it's the only sensible way to park in some locations.

Parking isn't an issue at the moment is it. It will be if the law is changed, clearly.

The first post of the thread seems to be about obstructing pedestrians?

They are moaning about parking. Parking just isn't sensible in some locations.

Parking is an issue and if the law is changed it will improve the problem for those struggle to use the pavements because of parked cars.

It sounds like what you actually mean is 'I park on the pavement and I want to keep parking on the pavement'.

The first post of the thread seems to be about obstructing pedestrians?

They are moaning about parking. Parking just isn't sensible in some locations.

Parking is an issue and if the law is changed it will improve the problem for those struggle to use the pavements because of parked cars.

It sounds like what you actually mean is 'I park on the pavement and I want to keep parking on the pavement'.

You're right, the law is being changed because it's an issue already, were it not, there'd be no need for change unless of course the powers that be are that perceptive that they fore saw a need and we all know they ain't that clever.