Serious legal action needed against car owners who park on pavements

I parked my Landrover entirely on the pavement. It's my land after all and the public had space to go round it.

I assumed you felt ashamed of yourself?

What would have happened if someone had had to walk around your car, walk into the road and as a consequence got ran over by a lorry?

I parked my Landrover entirely on the pavement. It's my land after all and the public had space to go round it.

The Pavement outside your house or any one's for that matter belongs to the Council not to the house it is outside of, your land end's where it is stated on your deed's showing the boundary markings for your property and 99.9% of the time this does not include the pavement, you can only count the pavement outside your house if the road is un-adopted example the road and pavement are not maintained by the council or the road is privately owned and the road is not named, pavements and roads are the Queens high way that’s why these people who complain about people parking outside their house really, unless they are disabled and pay for the parking space, cannot stop people parking there, it’s unfortunate for people who live in terrace housing as no accommodation is allowed for mass parking, the road I live on is wide enough for traffic but if you parked on the road as you should do then no car’s or busses would get through so you park half on and half off.

Also, as happened to one of my neighbours,they drove their car over the curb onto a prepared parking spot outside their front door, get the car off the road, the council said that they could not do that because there was no dropped curb outside their house and constant driving over the curb would damage the curb, as it was not their property but the councils they would have to stand the cost of repair, they could pay to have one put in the cost to put in a dropped curb £800, then they could park our side their front door.:confused:

Edited by MEC176

got ran over by a lorry?

Why a lorry? :rant: Could be anything - horse, cyclist mad mom with a pram, scooterist, roller skatist, skateboarderist - or any other ist for that matter even a mad pedestrainist :D:D

Sorry for any misspelling before any spellingist decides to post ;):hihi:

I think it's about time that the authorities did something about people who own cars, the ones who think it is right to park on the pavement

You see cars with 2 wheels on the pavements and this can cause a serious hazard to pedestrians. A pedestrian could walk into a car and sustain a serious injury and cars on pavements can cause tripping hazards

I for one am sick to death of car owners who think it is there god given right to behave as they wish without considering people around them and the hazards that their actions cause others

Surely a £100 fine could be the thing to deter people from doing this?

I could make a start by issuing red cards and placing them on the windscreen of offending cars

I totally agree with you, I park my car half on and half off leaving enough space for people to pass but what do you want the council to do about it, fine people don’t be daft, then they would park correctly on the road both sides and block the road from both directions, my road is just wide enough to get single file traffic through if parking was correct can you imagine stream of traffic waiting to go down one road what about the emergency services queuing to get to your house, sorry cannot get the cars are parked correctly, many roads were laid down in the 1950/60 when cars were smaller and less people had car's, housing estates did not allow for the boom in cars, present day new estates don’t allow much more room to park on the road side, and what’s the council going to do, dig up all your front gardens to widen the roads so we can park better, come on think about it the compensation would be enormous do you want your council tax upped to cover the cost so that you can walk on a pavement yes it’s your God given right to walk on a pavement but until there is a County wide improvement then It’s the motorists God given right to park as we have to and I say Have to because there is no alternative. :(

But it's illegal to drive on a pavement unless it has a council approved drop kerb, so unless you fly your car onto the pavement how have you got it there other than by driving?

Rule 145 states: “You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.”

Yes, the law is confusing. One can infer the car drove on the pavement to park but for prosecution a witness is required.

Someone like Rogets might stand up as a witness but unless the car is causing an obstruction I doubt the police would care. If the car causes an obstruction then a fine for that obstruction would be issued.

Numerous posters have pointed out why they park on pavements. Most stating its to avoid causing an obstruction to other vehicles using the road.

And again, the thread is a joke. Look at how the OP, Rogets, responds to posts!

They're always doing it near me, the road opposite, is my route to the local tesco, there's ALWAYS rows of cars parked on the pavement, enough to prevent even a single person passing...

then there's a guy who parks his work van all the way on the pavement, as though it's a car park....

couldn't even get a buggy past any of them when they're parked on the pavements, and it's dangerous to have to step into the road to pass the parked car, especially if you have got a buggy and/or kids..

The Pavement outside your house or any one's for that matter belongs to the Council not to the house it is outside of, your land end's where it is stated on your deed's showing the boundary markings for your property and 99.9% of the time this does not include the pavement, you can only count the pavement outside your house if the road is un-adopted example the road and pavement are not maintained by the council or the road is privately owned and the road is not named, pavements and roads are the Queens high way that’s why these people who complain about people parking outside their house really, unless they are disabled and pay for the parking space, cannot stop people parking there, it’s unfortunate for people who live in terrace housing as no accommodation is allowed for mass parking, the road I live on is wide enough for traffic but if you parked on the road as you should do then no car’s or busses would get through so you park half on and half off.

Also, as happened to one of my neighbours,they drove their car over the curb onto a prepared parking spot outside their front door, get the car off the road, the council said that they could not do that because there was no dropped curb outside their house and constant driving over the curb would damage the curb, as it was not their property but the councils they would have to stand the cost of repair, they could pay to have one put in the cost to put in a dropped curb £800, then they could park our side their front door.:confused:

You are mistaken on many levels.

The land outside the house in many cases is owned right up to the dividing line of the middle of the highway - that land belongs to the house owner not the council. The highway authority has a duty to maintain a highway at public expense along the highway, but it doesnt mean they own the land.

In many cases the land that is paved by the council is not part of the highway and shouldnt be paved, although often the council mistakenly do so.

Then you have shops with forestandings, where a vehicle can be parked. Oh, and there is no right to park on a highway - you have the right to pass and repass with a natural accompinment - you dont have a right to wait and loiter nor leave vehicles.

---------- Post added 07-10-2016 at 19:53 ----------

I assumed you felt ashamed of yourself?

What would have happened if someone had had to walk around your car, walk into the road and as a consequence got ran over by a lorry?

What of it? I'd think they stuipd for not walking on the eight feet of paving left to them. Unless it was you then I'd just smirk of course.

If you really want to do something then join Living Streets. The worst case I saw was blind chap who went completely over the bonnet of a car parked across the pavement near Weston Park. Poor blokes stick went straight under the sill so he didn't detect the car was there till he ended up in a heap on the floor.

Pavements are for people to walk on - so parking on pavements is therefore a major concern for our supporters and the general public.

Vehicles parked on the footway can cause an obstruction and inhibit the independence of many vulnerable people, especially older or disabled people with visual or mobility impairments.

And when pedestrians, for example families with pushchairs, are forced into the road and into oncoming traffic, pavement parking is simply dangerous.

It is also worth adding that pavement surfaces are not designed to carry the weight of vehicles, and the added maintenance cost of repairing cracked and damaged paving adds an unnecessary financial burden to already cash-strapped councils.

https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/what-we-do/key-issues/pavement-parking#maincontent

You are mistaken on many levels.

The land outside the house in many cases is owned right up to the dividing line of the middle of the highway - that land belongs to the house owner not the council. The highway authority has a duty to maintain a highway at public expense along the highway, but it doesnt mean they own the land.

In many cases the land that is paved by the council is not part of the highway and shouldnt be paved, although often the council mistakenly do so.

Then you have shops with forestandings, where a vehicle can be parked. Oh, and there is no right to park on a highway - you have the right to pass and repass with a natural accompinment - you dont have a right to wait and loiter nor leave vehicles.

First I am talking about general private residents not shop’s, factory’s and super markets, they fall into the 1% the pavement outside your family home is the Queens High Way and not the property of the house holder or really the Council ither even though you would think it was, as, by law, the council must keep roads and pavements in good repair, if what you are saying is right, but I doubt your suggestion is, the Council should charge the house holder for any maintenance done they will not maintain private property roads and pavements for free, also if you did own part of the road, which must be shown on your deeds, then you could charge a toll for anyone who passes over it or stop people using it.

Recently the pavements on my road in Chapeltown have been resurfaced and it was explained to me that, my land, boundary whatever you want to call it, ends at the bottom of my drive I have no jurisdiction over the pavement or road beyond that point It's for public use, all this came about because the council damaged my hedge will their road roller it was My fault because my hedge over hangs my boundary onto the pavement.

Edited by MEC176