Serious legal action needed against car owners who park on pavements

If you really want to do something then join Living Streets. The worst case I saw was blind chap who went completely over the bonnet of a car parked across the pavement near Weston Park. Poor blokes stick went straight under the sill so he didn't detect the car was there till he ended up in a heap on the floor.

Pavements are for people to walk on - so parking on pavements is therefore a major concern for our supporters and the general public.

Vehicles parked on the footway can cause an obstruction and inhibit the independence of many vulnerable people, especially older or disabled people with visual or mobility impairments.

And when pedestrians, for example families with pushchairs, are forced into the road and into oncoming traffic, pavement parking is simply dangerous.

It is also worth adding that pavement surfaces are not designed to carry the weight of vehicles, and the added maintenance cost of repairing cracked and damaged paving adds an unnecessary financial burden to already cash-strapped councils.

https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/what-we-do/key-issues/pavement-parking#maincontent

So you want to make parking on pavements illegal but you have no campaign or plan for what to do about people that have no choice but to park on pavements apart from encouraging them to walk?

Posters have already said they are forced to park on the pavement on their own streets to allow free access for other vehicles. You have no plan to solve that?

NOBODY is forced to park on the pavement. they always have the option to park elsewhere. but most are too lazy to walk a few streets from there they did park.

I agree, however we have to accept that our world changes and societal norms should be considered where possible. Most people drive and one of the main reasons for driving is to avoid a long walk to a bus stop, making people walk a long way to where their car is parked will meet resentment and ignorance. Finding a halfway house would make more sense. Convert wider pavements to 'parking zones', make more roads one way so one side can freely be used for parking without the pavement being affected, even things like removing a pavement down one side of the road could be considered where sensible, safe and practical. Ultimately we share this country with other people so we should consider the best options for everyone, car owners and pedestrians alike.

I have NO sympathy or support for anyone would blocks the pavement stopping pedestrians getting past. I am now a pram pusher and will admit to making no effort to avoid scratching a car if they are parked like a dick.

NOBODY is forced to park on the pavement. they always have the option to park elsewhere. but most are too lazy to walk a few streets from there they did park.

And when you park a few streets away outside someone else's house where do they park etc etc etc?

---------- Post added 07-10-2016 at 22:37 ----------

I agree, however we have to accept that our world changes and societal norms should be considered where possible. Most people drive and one of the main reasons for driving is to avoid a long walk to a bus stop, making people walk a long way to where their car is parked will meet resentment and ignorance. Finding a halfway house would make more sense. Convert wider pavements to 'parking zones', make more roads one way so one side can freely be used for parking without the pavement being affected, even things like removing a pavement down one side of the road could be considered where sensible, safe and practical. Ultimately we share this country with other people so we should consider the best options for everyone, car owners and pedestrians alike.

I have NO sympathy or support for anyone would blocks the pavement stopping pedestrians getting past. I am now a pram pusher and will admit to making no effort to avoid scratching a car if they are parked like a dick.

Some sensible options there. Better than blind, sweeping 'make it illegal I hate everyone arggggggghhhh' from others.

Edited by Santo

I half park on the pavement - you can still get a double pushchair through. Its very much depends on the pavement.

However. Say I couldn't. I'll park a few streets down. Lots of people come up with that idea. Before you know it it will be thread after thread "somebody has parked a big van/car/caravan outside my house and I don't know who owns it".

As ever, too many people too few resources (in this case, parking and/or width of road).

you live in a town built in an industrial era where people did not own cars, and houses where built as small as possible with no front gardens,or space for a driveway

would you prefer every other street bulldozed so there was space for cars?

not this may sound controvercial. but how about just being considerate. park elsewhere. park outside shops/ businesses that are closed at night, buy a smaller car, no one in sheffield needs a 4 wheel drive monster, if you and the wife own a car each, and one gets used to take the kids to school consider walking them and getting ride of one car.

there are just so many options it would take forever to type them. but people seem to thing they NEED a car. and need the option to park it as close to their house as humanly possible

All very interesting suggestions.

Here's a better one; if signs don't say it's not allowed, park on the pavement as TFH describes.

Done. Easy.

you live in a town built in an industrial era where people did not own cars, and houses where built as small as possible with no front gardens,or space for a driveway

would you prefer every other street bulldozed so there was space for cars?

not this may sound controvercial. but how about just being considerate. park elsewhere. park outside shops/ businesses that are closed at night, buy a smaller car, no one in sheffield needs a 4 wheel drive monster, if you and the wife own a car each, and one gets used to take the kids to school consider walking them and getting ride of one car.

there are just so many options it would take forever to type them. but people seem to thing they NEED a car. and need the option to park it as close to their house as humanly possible

I'm very considerate. Try and park in supermarket car parks or industrial estates - your vehicle will be ticketed and towed before you know it. When I'm working away it's a pain trying to find somewhere to park for a couple of hours if I don't know the area. The need to park a vehicle as close as possible isn't laziness, it's security. If my alarm goes off I'm out like a shot - if it's out of the way who will see it? Who's going to raise an alarm if someone is trying to break in? You might drive an under powered, unisurered heap that nobody wants but it's an issue for other people.

ok. so your driving a large penis extention and worry about it not being in sight?

some of us dont have that concern.

some of us also live in areas where there is no broken glass on the kerbside as well.

No. He's driving a work van.