Whats the most annoying experience you had in a Gym ??

What do you hate most about gyms ?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What do you hate most about gyms ?

• People who leave pools of sweat on the equipment after using it
    • People hogging equipment
    • People who break wind on the treadmills
    • Fitness classes which cater for one group of people
    • The monotony of doing the excersise
    • Smelly/cheesy changing rooms

I've been a registered member of various gyms (YMCA, Pinegrove and Fitness Centre) in the past but no longer go. In a sense I wish I'd never bothered because when I joined the YM in 1988 it put me off my running - time that in the past was spent on the road was now spent in the gym. Thus, my running fell by the wayside (which I've always felt was a shame because I was getting quite serious at it).

I used to go off-peak for obvious reasons; I'd practically have the place to myself including the spa pool and sauna. Then it got so busy it was a hassle and so I didn't renew my membership. I then joined the Pinegrove which was quite good but it had the (dis)advantage of having a bar within its confines. Thus, a 'good sesh' in the gym was normally followed by a 'better sesh' in the bar. The place closed down anyway.

The Fitness Centre is in town next to the Winter Gardens. A decent set-up but parking was a nightmare and I found membership quite expensive (at this point I bought my first home so had to weigh up my options financially. I quit!). That was probably 9 years ago.

Regarding the sweat on machines dilema, which I suffered from, I always took a towel with me to wipe my own sweat off the apparatus. Why others couldn't do the same I don't know. Also, every gym has a member who for some unknown, baffling reason is not aware that (s)he has the most disgusting problem re their personal hygene. Everyone else can smell him/her even before (s)he's entered the room. That probably put me off for life.

No thank you. I'm back into my running. It's cheaper, it's on my doorstep, there's no waiting for other people to finish, I can go when I like and best of all, I can do it entirely on my own!

Virgin's treadmills have their own TV screen on each machine... decent sized too! Rock on!

My gym has TVs, but they're boring too.

I take an MP3 player, but it only delays the boredom - running outside is a lot more interesting (but it's not always dry, and doesn't have air con ;))

wet through t-shirt *que ryan etc* hubba hubba hubba ''hahahahaha'' (im phsycic y knows)

Oi Woman!

If u women wanna get wet just by lookin at me, thats fine! Means i dont have to do any work for a change! haha

To address a few issues:

Yeah i suppose gyms can be intimidationg, but depends on how comfortable you are with youself! Who cares really what people think!

Also, if people are stood round chatting etc then ignore them they aren't getting work done..

Treadmills = boring yes, but stick some music on or as patrice says watch tha telly.. you'll do half hour in no time!

:)

What annoys me about the gym is the shower afterwards! I normally go to Ponds Forge before work in the morning. And I'm getting pi**ed off at pensioners looking where they shouldn't be looking whilst having a shower.

Although it hasn't happened in a while now, it's not nice. Only my lady is allowed to take a look at it (and on occasion, use it!!).

Other things that annoy me about the gym are:

People taking in mobile phones

Not wearing a training top (men) - I think Ponds Forge banned this for obvious health and safety reasons

Meatheads - Who grunt at the top of every repetition when lifting weights and posing in the mirrors.

One thing I did notice last week and weeks prior is this couple who go to the gym, but engage in a snog-fest before they start their workout!! Get a room!

This confused me. People have put that "when people sweat and leave pools of sweat"

what else are you supposed to do in the gym. People should wipe it up yeah, if you dont work up a sweat and look red in the face, as far as im concerned you haven't worked hard enough

Ya know what annoys me, poncy birds who jus sit about tryin to look pretty on machines that wont make a difference to their figure. I feel like saying "hunny, get doing a cardio workout, thats what you go to the gym for" to workout!!:rant:

Treadmills = boring yes, but stick some music on or as patrice says watch tha telly.. you'll do half hour in no time!

:)

I still do excersise on the treadmills, but they're still duller than anything else I could ever imagine and it's what I dislike most about going to the gym.

I still do excersise on the treadmills, but they're still duller than anything else I could ever imagine and it's what I dislike most about going to the gym.

Well, mix it up with weight training, it does actually burn more calories :)

This confused me. People have put that "when people sweat and leave pools of sweat"

what else are you supposed to do in the gym. People should wipe it up yeah, if you dont work up a sweat and look red in the face, as far as im concerned you haven't worked hard enough

Ya know what annoys me, poncy birds who jus sit about tryin to look pretty on machines that wont make a difference to their figure. I feel like saying "hunny, get doing a cardio workout, thats what you go to the gym for" to workout!!:rant:

Like the lass at our gym who goes, walks around the equiptment for and hour, dosn't do owt (she has full make up on and hair all done) then goes and gets changed. It annoys me more wen she looks at me like crap just cos I have worked up a sweat and actually done somat!!

Archived