Sheffield as a student

You do have a difficult choice because Liverpool today is a wonderful city. I'm naturally biased in favour of Sheffield for all of the above reasons, I also guess that Sheffield would be safer than Liverpool. She would also be able to support Sheffield United if she came here, pièce de résistance.:hihi:

Good luck

You do have a difficult choice because Liverpool today is a wonderful city. I'm naturally biased in favour of Sheffield for all of the above reasons, I also guess that Sheffield would be safer than Liverpool. She would also be able to support Sheffield United if she came here, pièce de résistance.:hihi:

Good luck

Well supporting Sheffield Utd just isn't going to happen I'm afraid as we already support Liverpool and go the game regularly!!! Nice try though!! :D

---------- Post added 09-10-2016 at 13:28 ----------

Quote from OP, #15:

The Sheffield of today is not the one that your economics teacher spoke of. It is heartening to hear such positive attributes to the city as have been spoken of in this thread. However, as the prime objective of going to university is to study, earn a degree and thereby eventually obtain employment it would seem sensible to attach some weight to that rather than whatever else is on offer. Studying is made so much easier and worthwhile if the subject is something you are passionate about. It sounds as if she would be more interested in what Liverpool has to offer and as a result of that might do far better in her eventual degree. I am sure there is plenty to do in Liverpool and she might enjoy being nearer to the coast, North Wales etc.

I agree with you, and suspect the course being more to her taste may well win out, but UofS did make a really positive impression and the course was decent too!

Thank you for replying. I was born and raised in Sheffield and am not that far off your teacher's age. Alas, I do not recognize all those glowing comments about my home city and am always relieved to leave it behind when I go home. However, it is nice that people do appreciate it and are happy with their lives in the city.

This is a hugely important decision for your daughter - one that will affect the rest of her life. It is a good lesson in assessing priorities; the degree course and what the university has to offer should be right there at the top. I hope that your daughter makes the right choice and is successful in her studies.

Edited by Jomie

Sheffield is larger than Liverpool

The only downside to our city centre is the poor shopping but this will improve drastically once the construction of the new Retail Quarter gets underway (next year I believe).

The built-up area of Liverpool is certainly bigger than Sheffield. A quick look at Google Maps will confirm this. The population of the built-up area is not far short of 1 million.

Edited by fatrajah

The built-up area of Liverpool is certainly bigger than Sheffield. A quick look at Google Maps will confirm this. The population of the built-up are is not far short of 1 million.

I dont think it is that black and white.

http://www.citymetric.com/skylines/where-are-largest-cities-britain-1404

UK population census data for the cities states:

" Sheffield – 552,698 Liverpool – 466,415"

However, if you take in the wider metropolitan areas

"Merseyside (L'pool) – 1,381,189

South Yorkshire (Sheffield) – 1,343,601"

The entire article is pretty interesting and sets out how this potential nonsense of what actually consitutes the "biggest" cities in the UK can be totally skewed depending on what stats you bother to include or ignore.

I dont think it is that black and white.

http://www.citymetric.com/skylines/where-are-largest-cities-britain-1404

UK population census data for the cities states:

" Sheffield – 552,698 Liverpool – 466,415"

However, if you take in the wider metropolitan areas

"Merseyside (L'pool) – 1,381,189

South Yorkshire (Sheffield) – 1,343,601"

The entire article is pretty interesting and sets out how this potential nonsense of what actually consitutes the "biggest" cities in the UK can be totally skewed depending on what stats you bother to include or ignore.

The South Yorkshire figure includes Rotherham, Doncaster & Barnsley which are surely separate towns from Sheffield ie they are not contiguous with the Sheffield built-up area. The Merseyside figure presumably includes only Birkenhead in addition to the built-up area of Liverpool.

The South Yorkshire figure includes Rotherham, Doncaster & Barnsley which are surely separate towns from Sheffield ie they are not contiguous with the Sheffield built-up area. The Merseyside figure presumably includes only Birkenhead in addition to the built-up area of Liverpool.

Why would you assume the merseyside figures only includes Birkenhead? What about towns such as Southport, St Helens, Formby, Crosby, Bootle.

This is sort of the point I was making and the article contents. What defines the "size" of a city or city region can be totally subjective to the statistics you choose to use or the image you want to protray.

Why would you assume the merseyside figures only includes Birkenhead? What about towns such as Southport, St Helens, Formby, Crosby, Bootle.

Add

Warrington

West Kirkby

Lymm

Newton le Willows

Widnes

Heswall

Bebbington

Runcorn

Non are now within Liverpool City or Birkenhead wards.

I cannot comment on the student facilities in Sheffield, but I can comment on my experience since my partner and I arrived in Sheffield to take up a job offer back in 1999...

I originate from Staffordshire and did my degree in Birmingham and lived for a number of years down near Heathrow and Gatwick. In the mid 90's I took the train from St Pancras and spent a long weekend mountain biking around Ladybower Reservoir. I remember the long ride uphill from Sheffield train station and out onto Ringinglow Road and over the moor and was amazed at just how close the National Park was to the city centre.

When the offer came up, I jumped at the chance and have lived here in Nether Green ever since. The park boundary is only 2 miles away from my place and I can ride up onto the hill and back in an hour. I have even done this in my lunch break.

My two kids were both born in Sheffield and we love it here.

Next weekend we are swimming in the open air lido in Hathersage, attending a party and then riding back over the moor back to Sheffield in the dark.

But as well as scenery, people make Sheffield...

What people say about the locals here is absolutely true...they are just about the most friendliest people I have ever met (level with North Easterners I think)...and I have never once been made unwelcome.

I have noticed this all over Sheffield and out into Barnsley and the surrounding area.

Where we live, there is a very strong community spirit and over the last few years we have had three street parties in our road, where we closed the road, got the food and beer out and had a party for the day.

It is also true about the graduate retention rate. I live next to a GP who trained in Sheffield and alongside teachers and hospital staff who trained here and never left. The previous owner of my house left for another job in York and said leaving Sheffield was a very hard thing to do indeed.

I have heard this from other old school friends who studied in Sheffield and loved the big old stone houses.

Obviously big city rules must not be ignored, as there are other aspects of the city not as nice...but I defy anyone to start walking in Endcliffe Park and follow the Porter Valley out of the city up to the café at the alpaca farm in Ringinglow and not be really impressed.

Loads of Chinese students were doing this very thing last weekend and we watched them flying a drone over the fields filming the views, while we plodded up the hill on the bikes.

From what I have seen of Liverpool, it is a nice place too...but as others have mentioned, Sheffield is a big village, Liverpool is a big city.

Steve