Help for homeless youth

We've recently has a youth who favours sitting on the steps outside our back garden (onto a public footpath),which we use regularly to walk the dogs.

He's there long hours and after a chat with him we discovered during a drug/drink inflamed incident he was thrown out of home and arrested by police,spent a night in cells.

A week later he's still in the same gear sitting there for long periods and this morning we found he'd slept out there all night.

He's currently being warmed with a hot coffee.

What can we do to help him - i have no intention of allowing him in(just in case) but my inconvenience at his presence is nothing compared to what he's coping with.

Is there anywhere we could take him or ring to come and offer him assistance?

We are NE Derbyshire, and i have no idea hwere to start.

Get him to contact Shelter now:

They also have a drop-in office on Furnival Gate (9.00-5.30 every working day, so closed now).

Also - what is his age? Social Services have a duty to re-home him if he is under 18. Contact Derbyshire Social Services here: 01629 532600 (This might be a good place to start regardless)

Get him to contact Shelter now:

They also have a drop-in office on Furnival Gate (9.00-5.30 every working day, so closed now).

Also - what is his age? Social Services have a duty to re-home him if he is under 18. Contact Derbyshire Social Services here: 01629 532600 (This might be a good place to start regardless)

Just in phone contact with them.

They can't help unless we get his name & permission to speak on his behalf.

My wife went out to chat with him and he'd taken off.

There's more to the story,we're aware of the reasons he's taken to the bottle and although i've no intention of being Sanda Bullock in Blindside, i would like to help somehow.

I've even checked the rates for Premier Inn, at least he'd get one nights rest and a breakfast and a shower.

We've recently has a youth who favours sitting on the steps outside our back garden (onto a public footpath),which we use regularly to walk the dogs.

He's there long hours and after a chat with him we discovered during a drug/drink inflamed incident he was thrown out of home and arrested by police,spent a night in cells.

A week later he's still in the same gear sitting there for long periods and this morning we found he'd slept out there all night.

He's currently being warmed with a hot coffee.

What can we do to help him - i have no intention of allowing him in(just in case) but my inconvenience at his presence is nothing compared to what he's coping with.

Is there anywhere we could take him or ring to come and offer him assistance?

We are NE Derbyshire, and i have no idea hwere to start.

Are you in the Chesterfield area? If so Chesterfield council have a rough sleepers help service that's worth a try. Their is a homeless hostel down Brampton too .Its not wise to give him money as it will get spent on the wrong things he also needs to be prepared to help himself.

He doesn't need money, he just has nowhere to sleep.

My wife offers a few words of comfort and a warm drink this morning.

I don't want him thinking we're just trying to move him on.

Theirs no way he can stay were he is winter is on its way he will not survive outdoors for long. If you are near Chesterfield take him to the Town Hall on Rose Hill and ask to see the housing department or someone from the rough sleepers to see what can be done .

If Sheffield is nearer take him to the Salvation Army shelter I don't know the exact address but is not far from the Moor.

You are doing right by giving him warm drinks but also things like soup would be beneficial as the nights get colder. Has he tryed to talking to his family or known an relative or friend who could help out as a stop gap?

Edited by nikki-red
quote tags

He doesn't need money, he just has nowhere to sleep.

My wife offers a few words of comfort and a warm drink this morning.

I don't want him thinking we're just trying to move him on.

Have you contacted these or given him the info for them?

Maybe take him some hot food and drink?

Im more familiar with Sheffield. but the procedure should be to get him advice, then off the street and then onto the benefits system or into a hostel.

Thye can at least give you guidance on the best way to proceed.

http://pathwaysofchesterfield.co.uk/

https://www.chesterfield.gov.uk/housing/council-tenants/housing-service-standards/homelessness-prevention-service.aspx

http://www.homeless.org.uk/homeless-england/service/derbyshire-young-peoples-service-stonham-housing

http://www.frameworkha.org/