'Locker Room Banter'

With all due respect to Ron, this is not the way that I behave and it is not the way I expect friends and colleagues to behave whether there are women around or not.

Most men (of those who go in for such talk) grow out of such things, for many when they enter a serious relationship with a woman they respect and start to empathise properly with the opposite sex. Those that don't need to look inside themselves the cause of such immaturity and for why they don't think of women as people the way they should.

Edited by unbeliever

It's bloke banter - how long have you been a bloke? Sorry, I know it's "horrible and disgusting and unpleasant", but most blokes do have that sort of banter.

Depends what you mean by 'bloke'. None my friends or colleagues would ever resort to using such crass speech - whilst I accept there will be people who speak like that frequently it is certainly not most men.

If by 'bloke' you mean the more stereotypically 'laddy' type, it may be more frequent, I confess I don't have many 'laddy' friends, but has unbeliever has mentioned, most men grow out of such behaviour.

What people say and do in private can sometimes be vastly different to how they want to portray themselves in public, let's not pretend that both men and women can't be guilty of such ..... how many people are outed these days via social media for example, and how much hypocrisy is there around too. We live in times where self righteousness, one up man ship and 'put down' agendas are rife, woe betide those who get found out.

What people say and do in private can sometimes be vastly different to how they want to portray themselves in public, let's not pretend that both men and women can't be guilty of such ..... how many people are outed these days via social media for example, and how much hypocrisy is there around too. We live in times where self righteousness, one up man ship and 'put down' agendas are rife, woe betide those who get found out.

Well yes. There will be 3 groups of men.

1. Those that respect women

2. Those that don't respect women and admit it

3. Those that don't respect women and don't admit it.

Is it too much to ask that the president of the USA be in group 1? Or are we going with: okay he's in group 2 but group 3 would be worse...

Is it too much to ask that the president of the USA be in group 1? Or are we going with: okay he's in group 2 but group 3 would be worse...

:thumbsup:

Depends what you mean by 'bloke'. None my friends or colleagues would ever resort to using such crass speech - whilst I accept there will be people who speak like that frequently it is certainly not most men.

If by 'bloke' you mean the more stereotypically 'laddy' type, it may be more frequent, I confess I don't have many 'laddy' friends, but has unbeliever has mentioned, most men grow out of such behaviour.

We're also British. As I've pointed out, 'banter' and attitudes to women in certain circles in the US is like something out of the stone age, reflected in the fact that Trump has enough support from the electorate to run for president.

That's your take on it, and with regards to Trumps position I agree, however to suggest there are 3 groups of men is a vast under statement, you forget that humour and banter does exist and that it should not always be seen as being disrespectful but often tongue in cheek or even shock humour, in our ever increasing politically correct world where everyone wants to be offended ;)

That's your take on it, and with regards to Trumps position I agree, however to suggest there are 3 groups of men is a vast under statement, you forget that humour and banter does exist and that it should not always be seen as being disrespectful but often tongue in cheek or even shock humour, in our ever increasing politically correct world where everyone wants to be offended ;)

Of course banter exists but to claim that 'most' men are so disrespectful is overstretching it.

Of course banter exists but to claim that 'most' men are so disrespectful is overstretching it.

Who has made that claim ?

There is a difference between genuine disrespect and banter, sometimes the lines get crossed and sometimes people have regretted their actions and words when confronted, I am talking about bloke/lad banter generally btw.

I have just noticed the word jest in your signature Chelle, I believe that word exists for a reason ;)

Edited by Michael_W