Sunday lunch in Derbyshire

MARY POPPINS

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice for Sunday lunch in Derbyshire, thought about the Fox House, but the reviews dont look too good, its for a birthday celebration., thankyou

Check out Afternoon Tea at Chatsworth - not a full meal, but nice setting and fancy finger sandwiches and cakes.

I've had not only some really underwhelming food, but also pretty shoddy service at the Fox House.

If you want an excellent, community owned pub serving delicious food, how about the Anglers Rest out at Bamford. Great beer, great food and very friendly and helpful. http://www.anglers.rest/

Monsal Head - good food, but a over-priced in my opinion. But breath-taking views if you want to wow people with the peaks. And the option to stop in Bakewell for some cake on the way home:-

http://www.monsalhead.com/index.html

The Barrel Inn at Bretton is another place that offers excellent food and great views. http://www.thebarrelinn.co.uk/index.html

I've always loved the Cheshire Cheese at Hope (not Castleton) as a pub that serves large portions of good quality pub food at reasonable prices, and I think it's a cosy pleasant pub:- http://www.thecheshirecheeseinn.co.uk/

Some places I’ve taken my mum and Dad plus the extended family to. Part of the family lives North Sheffield, me in the middle while the rest of us are East midlanders so the Peak District is convenient for all of us to meet.

Devonshire Arms Beeley we had a wonderful 80th birthday celebration there last September for both my parents. Staff were brilliant and the looked after 12 of us. Let us bring our own birthday cakes. Not a cheap place to go to but nice for a one off. Dad wants us to do it again this autumn.

Red Lion in Litton. Small rooms can be cramped but we all enjoyed it none the less then a nice walk back to Tidza. I guess you could say its more dog and fell walker oriented than the Devonshire Arms.

Cheshire Cheese in Hope - used to be our family favourite when dad still drove. Dad would drive there and Id cycle out to meet them. Haven’t been for about 3 years but it’s still pulling in good reviews. Accessible by train if you don’t want to drive and you happy to walk about a mile.

All the above would probably require a booking

Some places I’ve taken my mum and Dad plus the extended family to. Part of the family lives North Sheffield, me in the middle while the rest of us are East midlanders so the Peak District is convenient for all of us to meet.

Devonshire Arms Beeley we had a wonderful 80th birthday celebration there last September for both my parents. Staff were brilliant and the looked after 12 of us. Let us bring our own birthday cakes. Not a cheap place to go to but nice for a one off. Dad wants us to do it again this autumn.

Red Lion in Litton. Small rooms can be cramped but we all enjoyed it none the less then a nice walk back to Tidza. I guess you could say its more dog and fell walker oriented than the Devonshire Arms.

Cheshire Cheese in Hope - used to be our family favourite when dad still drove. Dad would drive there and Id cycle out to meet them. Haven’t been for about 3 years but it’s still pulling in good reviews. Accessible by train if you don’t want to drive and you happy to walk about a mile.

All the above would probably require a booking

I went to Red Lion at Litton last Christmas, really enjoyed it. Small rooms but a nice roaring fire and a pleasant walk around the adjacent lanes to Tideswell.