Do You Need The BBC?

If you had a choice to not have access to the BBC for not buying TV license would you choose it?

Television licence fee rises for second year running

Annual fee to watch BBC will increase from £147 to £150.50 from 1 April, government says

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/feb/22/television-licence-fee-rises-second-year-running-bbc

The BBC TV licence fee will increase to £150.50 from 1 April 2018. This is excellent news for me, as it means I save even more money each year as I don't require any of the BBC's services, which especially includes an expensive BBC TV licence fee.

I do feel sorrow for those forced to pay this now increasingly large amount of money. The psychologically important price point of costing more than £150 will hurt a large number of people on low incomes.

The BBC must employ psychological pricing techniques to reduce consumer resistance - such as reframing the value. So instead of offering it as '£150.50 per year' the BBC might reframe it as '£2.88 per week'.

Of course, consumers won't actually be permitted to pay just £2.88 per week, it's just a psychological device. A smaller price point is more persuasive and significantly easier for the consumer to accept.

Let the BBC gravy train roll onwards!

Television licence fee rises for second year running

Annual fee to watch BBC will increase from £147 to £150.50 from 1 April, government says

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/feb/22/television-licence-fee-rises-second-year-running-bbc

The BBC TV licence fee will increase to £150.50 from 1 April 2018. This is excellent news for me, as it means I save even more money each year as I don't require any of the BBC's services, which especially includes an expensive BBC TV licence fee.

I do feel sorrow for those forced to pay this now increasingly large amount of money. The psychologically important price point of costing more than £150 will hurt a large number of people on low incomes.

The BBC must employ psychological pricing techniques to reduce consumer resistance - such as reframing the value. So instead of offering it as '£150.50 per year' the BBC might reframe it as '£2.88 per week'.

Of course, consumers won't actually be permitted to pay just £2.88 per week, it's just a psychological device. A smaller price point is more persuasive and significantly easier for the consumer to accept.

Let the BBC gravy train roll onwards!

You can pay weekly towards your next licence if you get a TV licence savings card:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/ways-to-pay/savings-card

You can pay weekly towards your next licence if you get a TV licence savings card:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/ways-to-pay/savings-card

What about paying for your current BBC TV licence?

The savings card pays towards your NEXT BBC TV licence. And it doesn't pay any interest earned, which the BBC keeps.

"A TV Licensing payment card gives you the flexibility to pay for a licence weekly and fortnightly, or monthly, from about £6 a week."

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/ways-to-pay/payment-card

Not exactly £2.88 per week.

What about paying for your current BBC TV licence?

The savings card pays towards your NEXT BBC TV licence. And it doesn't pay any interest earned, which the BBC keeps.

"A TV Licensing payment card gives you the flexibility to pay for a licence weekly and fortnightly, or monthly, from about £6 a week."

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/ways-to-pay/payment-card

Not exactly £2.88 per week.

You clearly didn't read it all. Minimum deposit is £2, I've copied and pasted it below for you. Read the link again.

You can make a deposit whenever you like, and the minimum payment is £2.

Edit - are you looking at the TV savings card? That's the link I gave and that's where this info is from. Its not the same as the regular direct debit payment schemes.

Edit again - you are looking at the payment card scheme not the savings card scheme I gave the link for. The savings scheme is for your next licence.

Edited by Chez2

You clearly didn't read it all. Minimum deposit is £2, I've copied and pasted it below for you. Read the link again.

The BBC TV licence savings card only pays for your NEXT BBC TV licence. What about those people who are struggling to pay their CURRENT licence?

People who are paying for their current licence must pay a minimum of £6 per week.

The BBC insists that people must pay for their first BBC TV licence in just 6 months. This hurts the poorest members of society the most.

The savings card option is only for those who have paid for their current BBC TV licence and can afford to start paying for next year!

Let the BBC gravy train roll on.

---------- Post added 04-03-2018 at 13:17 ----------

Edit - are you looking at the TV savings card? That's the link I gave and that's where this info is from. Its not the same as the regular direct debit payment schemes.

Edit again - you are looking at the payment card scheme not the savings card scheme I gave the link for. The savings scheme is for your next licence.

You clearly didn't read my post as I distinguished between people paying for their current BBC TV licence, in which case they must pay a minimum of £6 per week, and people who use the savings card (which only pays accumulated interest to the BBC) to pay for NEXT YEARS BBC TV licence.

Please keep up. The BBC gravy train rolls on...

People have to pay for their licence before it expires, hence the price. If people are that poor then perhaps they don't have a TV? I didn't when I got my first house in 1985. Its unfortunate, I've been there since too so I know how it is to live without all the mod cons people take for granted now.

People have to pay for their licence before it expires, hence the price. If people are that poor then perhaps they don't have a TV? I didn't when I got my first house in 1985. Its unfortunate, I've been there since too so I know how it is to live without all the mod cons people take for granted now.

It's not 1985 anymore.

People own televisions (and many other devices) these days which don't require a BBC TV licence.

I myself own two tv's, but as I don't watch live television broadcasts, or BBC iPlayer, I legally don't need to purchase a BBC TV licence.

I do watch DVDs and blurays, YouTube, Netflix etc. None of which requires me to pay a penny to the greedy and out of touch BBC.

All of it much cheaper, and far better quality and value for money, than the outdated BBC.

It's not 1985 anymore.

People own televisions (and many other devices) these days which don't require a BBC TV licence.

I myself own two tv's, but as I don't watch live television broadcasts, or BBC iPlayer, I legally don't need to purchase a BBC TV licence.

I do watch DVDs and blurays, YouTube, Netflix etc. None of which requires me to pay a penny to the greedy and out of touch BBC.

All of it much cheaper, and far better quality and value for money, than the outdated BBC.

You seem to be missing the point. If you are poor then you won't have all these gadgets. People can live without them you know.

If you want any TV programme, not just BBC you need a TV licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one?WT.ac=home_plt_check

This link I gave was really to help anyone reading this thread. I can see you want to rant rather than help anyone on a budget. It looks like you do need a TV licence if you watch DVDs or Blu-ray, see the link.

Don’t have a TV? You could still need a TV Licence for other devices.

It doesn’t matter what device you use. If you watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. This includes:

TV sets (including smart TVs)

DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders

Laptops and desktop computers

Tablets, mobile phones and other portable devices

Digital boxes or PVRs (such as Sky, Virgin Media or BT TV)

Games consoles

Media streaming devices (such as Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Now TV)

Freeview, Freesat or YouView