Do You Need The BBC?

You seem to be missing the point. If you are poor then you won't have all these gadgets. People can live without them you know.

If you want any TV programme, not just BBC you need a TV licence.

I watch many television programmes and do not legally need a BBC TV licence. I watch tv programmes, and films, on Netflix and even some on YouTube. Neither of which require a valid BBC TV licence.

It's not 1985 anymore, I'm afraid.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one?WT.ac=home_plt_check

This link I gave was really to help anyone reading this thread. I can see you want to rant rather than help anyone on a budget. It looks like you do need a TV licence if you watch DVDs or Blu-ray, see the link.

Oh dear. Watching DVDs or blu rays does not require the purchase of a BBC TV licence. Only watching or recording live television broadcasts or watching the BBC iPlayer needs to be covered by a BBC TV licence.

I repeat. It's not 1985 anymore!

Don’t have a TV? You could still need a TV Licence for other devices.

It doesn’t matter what device you use. If you watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. This includes:

TV sets (including smart TVs)

DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders

Laptops and desktop computers

Tablets, mobile phones and other portable devices

Digital boxes or PVRs (such as Sky, Virgin Media or BT TV)

Games consoles

Media streaming devices (such as Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Now TV)

Freeview, Freesat or YouView

Let the BBC gravy train roll on. Increase the BBC TV licence fee!

I watch many television programmes and do not legally need a BBC TV licence. I watch tv programmes, and films, on Netflix and even some on YouTube. Neither of which require a valid BBC TV licence.

But you pay for a subscription, so its like the tv license, Amazon prime has a subscription based model, Sky has a subscription based model, Cable have a subscription based model.

As for terrestrial tv, the lives of ITV, C4, 5 etc have adverts so are "free" but adverts are getting more and more intrusive

you choose, you pay

I'd keep the BBC licence if only to avoid the advertising channels, which I put on mute if I'm quick enough, they seem to be getting longer and longer, so need a 'bolt-hole'

Love this post...Absolutely bang on...I don't watch a lot of T.V but when i do it's 'Advert after Advert'..!!

I do the same as you do, have the remote handy and as soon as an ad comes on blot it out or change the channel. Grrrr..:gag:

I calculated, if you watch 4 hours of T.V you will also get 1. 20 Hours of adverts.!

Thing is the Ads are for things that i don't need.!

I have never ONCE watched a T.V. ad and thought, yeah i MUST go out and buy one of those tomorrow.

It's not like needy stuff, it's all Sofas and Carpets or bluddy Windows..stuff you only buy once in a while.!

Haven't had a TV for many years and don't miss it one bit. Stopped listening to radio 4 and 5 when it got dumbed down a few years ago.

Have now been Legally License free for around 10 years.

My late mother used to bang on about stuff being 'dumbed down'..at first i didn't understand her...Now i do. Glad you realised too.!

Do these corporations think we were born yesterday?!:huh:

Love this post...Absolutely bang on...I don't watch a lot of T.V but when i do it's 'Advert after Advert'..!!

I do the same as you do, have the remote handy and as soon as an ad comes on blot it out or change the channel. Grrrr..:gag:

I calculated, if you watch 4 hours of T.V you will also get 1. 20 Hours of adverts.!

Thing is the Ads are for things that i don't need.!

I have never ONCE watched a T.V. ad and thought, yeah i MUST go out and buy one of those tomorrow.

It's not like needy stuff, it's all Sofas and Carpets or bluddy Windows..stuff you only buy once in a while.!

According to this you would get on average 48 minutes of ads in a 4 hour period...

a daily limit of no more than 20 per cent of advertising between 7am or 11pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/25/more-adverts-in-prime-time-shows-under-eu-rules-change-after-bro/

Obviously it would depend on the time of day.

Edited by nikki-red

But you pay for a subscription, so its like the tv license, Amazon prime has a subscription based model, Sky has a subscription based model, Cable have a subscription based model.

No, paying for Netflix or Amazon is not at all like paying for the BBC TV licence fee.

Amazon and Netflix are subscription based and much cheaper for a start. They offer better quality content than the BBC, and their funding model is simple. I pay for what I want to watch, when I want to watch it.

And I don't get threatened with a home visit, large fine and criminal record if I choose to stop paying them, as the BBC does.

According to this you would get at the most 48 minutes (on average) of ads in a 4 hour period...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/25/more-adverts-in-prime-time-shows-under-eu-rules-change-after-bro/

Obviously it would depend on the time of day.

Correct. But if lets say, there are 4 programmes on T.V you want to watch, each lasting an hour.

There are 4 ads per hour on mainstream T.V. Each lasting 5 Min. = 1.20 Hrs of adverts.:)

No, paying for Netflix or Amazon is not at all like paying for the BBC TV licence fee.

Amazon and Netflix are subscription based and much cheaper for a start. They offer better quality content than the BBC, and their funding model is simple. I pay for what I want to watch, when I want to watch it.

apart from the bottom bit which ive removed, the rest is crap

1: i pay £12.12 a month for the license, Amazon and Neflix wont be much cheaper? couple of quid maybe?

2: They dont offer better quality, the notion of quality is down to what you personally prefer, you cant use a personal preference as an arguement against something, some people prefer the BBCs output.

3: you DONT pay what you want for what you want? you pay a monthly subscription? or do you pay per programme?