Do You Need The BBC?

[/b]

Its all right for you Mr T. Iv"e just bought one of these smart TVs, son in law has rigged it me up to internet, Netflix, You tube, etc, Iv"e still not progressed from the 1 button on the remote:huh:

Outsmarted by that Smart TV eh? Actually, YouTube and Netflix are more or less all I watch these days, don't subscribe to any sports channels either, I watch my baseball on a free streaming channel. Nothing on TV interests me these days and we have 150 channels but all crap in my view. Wife still watches Corrie and stuff though.

Not everyone pays income tax, not everyone watches TV.

People that don't pay income tax probably shouldn't be charged for such a basic service as broadcast TV.

And not watching TV isn't an argument at all, I don't use social services, but I still pay tax that is spent on them, I don't use schools, public playgrounds or numerous other things that tax is spent on.

---------- Post added 21-08-2018 at 19:40 ----------

There you go create more tax dodgers.:hihi:

Seriously though, you do have a point if the public really does have to subsidise the BBC.

It's very difficult to dodge tax in the UK, about the only people who can do it are the super rich or those who get paid in cash.

Nah, with the exception of N.America, TV licenses are fairly common place.

No, they are not fairly commonplace, a few euro countries and a few old former colonies still have something in place. but even some of those like Malta have scrapped it. Japan has it but fees are voluntary lol. I bet that does well ha ha ha.

---------- Post added 21-08-2018 at 17:44 ----------

People that don't pay income tax probably shouldn't be charged for such a basic service as broadcast TV.

And not watching TV isn't an argument at all, I don't use social services, but I still pay tax that is spent on them, I don't use schools, public playgrounds or numerous other things that tax is spent on.

---------- Post added 21-08-2018 at 19:40 ----------

It's very difficult to dodge tax in the UK, about the only people who can do it are the super rich or those who get paid in cash.

That part of my post was meant as a joke Lol

No, they are not fairly commonplace, a few euro countries and a few old former colonies still have something in place.

Two thirds of EU countries have a license fee, as well as many other nations around the world.

They're not at all unusual or a "UK thing".

Japan has it but fees are voluntary lol. I bet that does well ha ha ha.

Nope, it's compulsory:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/12/06/national/crime-legal/tv-owners-legally-obliged-pay-nhk-fee-top-court/#.W3yM2rjTWbI

Why don't they have commercials like almost every other TV station in the World? This licensing is so archaic and so 1950s Britain. The cost of running it and enforcing it must be enormous, It must be a real headscratcher to a foreign observer. :huh:

The thing is with the rapid advancement of the internet in recent times a lot of people are not interested in TV as they used to be. There are so many streaming sites to get the content one wants when one feels like watching it like Netflix and such like.

Just got back from a holiday in Toronto..the adverts on Tv there are really,really intrusive..they even break up the credits at the end to put more ads in although I'm sure you know this :) I don't ming paying the licence fee if only to avoid those :)

Just got back from a holiday in Toronto..the adverts on Tv there are really,really intrusive..they even break up the credits at the end to put more ads in although I'm sure you know this :) I don't ming paying the licence fee if only to avoid those :)

for 2 channels out of how many, sky don't have adds