Do You Need The BBC?

Yes, you said that earlier and I replied saying I wouldn't want the likes of Jeremy Corbyn and his MSM hating sycophants to destroy it or UKIP or any other party which might happen if it's funded by general taxation.

Not over 145.50 a year. Which is the cost of a newspaper a day.

Why does funding it from general taxation threaten it?

The cost of the license fee and the BBC charter are set by the government anyway. The state can abolish or ruin the BBC at any time. They choose not to.

The cost of the license fee and the BBC charter are set by the government anyway. The state can abolish or ruin the BBC at any time. They choose not to.

I think it would make them less independant. Just a feeling.

I think it would make them less independant. Just a feeling.

Well instincts are not valueless, but I think you may have been sucked in by the BBCs own propaganda on the matter. That's my feeling.

There are many quasi-autonomous arms-length state institutions which operate in a similar manner to the BBC, but are not funded by their own special tax. It's essentially a non-departmental public body like for example English Heritage.

Edited by unbeliever

I am quite happy to pay the licence fee. I think the BBC provides on the whole excellent value. The question of course is whether citizens should be coerced into paying for this service. We are coerced into paying income tax, and a fair amount of this money is spent on things which I disapprove, so this is one case where I am content with how my money is being spent, on the whole. Moreover, having the BBC has not stopped the commercial stations from raking in huge profits, so I don't think that the existence of the BBC has distorted the competitive environment all that much.

What would you replace it with?

Nothing .

---------- Post added 13-10-2016 at 16:20 ----------

Yes, you said that earlier and I replied saying I wouldn't want the likes of Jeremy Corbyn and his MSM hating sycophants to destroy it or UKIP or any other party which might happen if it's funded by general taxation.

Not over 145.50 a year. Which is the cost of a newspaper a day.

i would far rather £145.50 per year be in my pocket than at the BBC.

Im not overly keen on BBC content but if its there i will see whats on. But if i had all the Sky movies & Sports channels i would look at those too. But as i dont pay for them i dont really miss them.

Would you miss the BBC if you didnt want to pay the license fee?

Isnt it time that this option was looked at.

If the BBC ceased to exist, it would be missed.

---------- Post added 13-10-2016 at 17:59 ----------

How many people do not use the BBC web site for news?

I don't need the BBC in the same way that I don't need arms or legs or my frontal lobe, however I do very much value the BBC. Mainly because I can learn a lot through its programmes that I wouldn't learn elsewhere, which is because some of the most educational programmes wouldn't be profitable on commercial TV.

---------- Post added 13-10-2016 at 18:34 ----------

I think this seems perfectly fine. In fact it would detoxify the funding of the BBC and reduce the criminalisation of people on low incomes.

So you want to scrap the BBC all together?

I suppose that the government would still want the overseas world services but they could be funded out of general taxation as indeed they should be now. As for the rest of it it should be subscription only which I suspect would amount to scrapping it.