Was Lily Allen right or wrong?

Of course I get the idea.

But we have freedom of speech. Even if you say idiotic things. She can apologise for her country if she wants. And you can say she is wrong to.

I'm confused now.

I though we were debating whether or not Lily Allen was right to say what she said. Not whether she should have been prevented from saying it.

How is freedom of speech involved?

I'm confused now.

I though we were debating whether or not Lily Allen was right to say what she said. Not whether she should have been prevented from saying it.

How is freedom of speech involved?

Some of the comments seem to suggest she can't apologise. I was answering those. She can if she wants. Even if she looks like an ignorant fool.

---------- Post added 13-10-2016 at 16:51 ----------

No she doesn't get to apologise on my behalf. That is simply wrong. She has no way of knowing everyones opinions on that, and she most certainly doesn't get to speak on my behalf.

Yeah, but she just did. Or did she though? Really?

Perhaps you'd like to go over there and say she wasn't speaking on your behalf?

Or perhaps you can accept she can say whatever she wants (and often does)? She's only a pop star, not our elected leader.

How can anyone possibly be worked up about what Lily Allen says?

Edited by Santo

Some of the comments seem to suggest she can't apologise. I was answering those. She can if she wants. Even if she looks like an ignorant fool.

No... the thread isn't whether she can or cannot say what she did.

It's asking whether she was right or wrong in what she said.

Different altogether.

Really Francy? I draw your attention to your first post.

Just who does she think she is ?

How dare she apologize on my behalf.

Definitely wrong....... in fact she should apologize to us. Stupid woman.

That to me suggests she isn't allowed to apologise for the wrong she thinks has been committed. I appreciate she is wrong about things but if she honestly believes she's right she can apologise if she wants. Stupid people say stupid things all the time.

And she didn't apologise on your behalf. She apologised on behalf of a country for the things she believes they have done wrong. Not everyone will agree with her and not everyone believes it is a meaningful apology from someone with the authority to actually apologise on behalf of a whole country. She's only a pop star.

All this fuss, blimey.

---------- Post added 13-10-2016 at 17:07 ----------

After a hard day's work and catching up on news I've just picked up on Lily Allen's comments at the Calais camp.

Apologising to a man child who looks to be in early 20's at least ( but claims to be 13 ...hard life??) for our actions and that she is apologising to him on behalf of UK people .

Is she right , wrong, genuine or just misguided?

Can you clarify? Are you asking if she is right to apologise if she thinks what she said is true? Or are you asking if she is right about what she said for which she is apologising? I'm not sure which you meant..

I think it's clear she is wrong about what she said. But if she believes it's right then sure, she can apologise. Who cares? It's only Lily Allen.

Or perhaps you can accept she can say whatever she wants (and often does)? She's only a pop star, not our elected leader.

You don't get to say whatever you like though. You never have done.

:hihi:

Indeed!

But I think people are more annoyed by the fact that she seems deluded enough to think that her 'popularity' through the ability to co-write a few catchy pop songs also qualifies her to speak on everyone's behalf... :roll:

After a hard day's work and catching up on news I've just picked up on Lily Allen's comments at the Calais camp.

Apologising to a man child who looks to be in early 20's at least ( but claims to be 13 ...hard life??) for our actions and that she is apologising to him on behalf of UK people .

Is she right , wrong, genuine or just misguided?

I laughed out loud at this.