Over a million people are not having their basic care needs met

Over a million people are not having their basic care needs met, according to a report out today,.and many many more are receiving inadequate care. 81% of Authorities have cut funds to social care at a time when there are more elderly. Anyone who has had any dealings with social services, or the long term health care services will not be in the least surprise at this.

By basic care it means things like dressing, eating, toileting etc so pretty essential stuff. Care homes are closing all over the North due to lack of funds, and that's in spite of charging upwards of £600 a week for every resident plus 'housekeeping' costs for food, board and lodging, and also in spite of old people selling their homes to pay for it. Authorities are refusing/unable to increase their contribution to this cost even where it applies.

Families now need 2 incomes to maintain their own families/mortgages and giving a salary up to care for someone 24/7 (and often helping out the younger generation too) is simply not an option for many. (Carer's allowance is a measly £60 a week, and even that is deducted from the elderly person's benefit.)

This is something that will probably affect every one of us in the future. What can be done? Do you want to be left to die alone in your own mess?

Over a million people are not having their basic care needs met, according to a report out today,.and many many more are receiving inadequate care. 81% of Authorities have cut funds to social care at a time when there are more elderly. Anyone who has had any dealings with social services, or the long term health care services will not be in the least surprise at this.

By basic care it means things like dressing, eating, toileting etc so pretty essential stuff. Care homes are closing all over the North due to lack of funds, and that's in spite of charging upwards of £600 a week for every resident plus 'housekeeping' costs for food, board and lodging, and also in spite of old people selling their homes to pay for it. Authorities are refusing/unable to increase their contribution to this cost even where it applies.

Families now need 2 incomes to maintain their own families/mortgages and giving a salary up to care for someone 24/7 (and often helping out the younger generation too) is simply not an option for many. (Carer's allowance is a measly £60 a week, and even that is deducted from the elderly person's benefit.)

This is something that will probably affect every one of us in the future. What can be done? Do you want to be left to die alone in your own mess?

If authorities aren't meeting their obligations, contact your councilor, MP, stuff like that. It shouldn't happen. If homes are closing down, people aren't using them. If a full nursing home is being closed down its down to mismanagement.

And you're right - this quest to live for ever is going to mean more people left rot. I'll be heading to Switzerland when the time comes.

If authorities aren't meeting their obligations, contact your councilor, MP, stuff like that. It shouldn't happen. If homes are closing down, people aren't using them. If a full nursing home is being closed down its down to mismanagement.

And you're right - this quest to live for ever is going to mean more people left rot. I'll be heading to Switzerland when the time comes.

Most people who need care can not afford a day in Mabletherpe .

That's not true, you can need help and still have a good pension or savings. Id try and start saving anyway. If you're expecting the government, of any colour, to help you out, be prepared to be disappointed.

I am already planning a way out before I get there. I currently pay for my care out of my disability benefits, but they stop at 65 so I will have another plan.

I think it will be available in Britain before long, and I for one will probably use it when my quality of life is over. However with the antagonism currently being stirred up by the media between the 'Baby Boomers' who apparently had it so good they used up the money so its all their fault, and the young people, how long before it's made compulsory....?

I am already planning a way out before I get there. I currently pay for my care out of my disability benefits, but they stop at 65 so I will have another plan.

You can then apply for Attendance Allowance, and in most cases you won't even need to go for a medical by DSS/Atos or their new equivalent now. They may just write to your GP for confirmation of your condition.

[/b]

I think it will be available in Britain before long, and I for one will probably use it when my quality of life is over. However with the antagonism currently being stirred up by the media between the 'Baby Boomers' who apparently had it so good they used up the money so its all their fault, and the young people, how long before it's made compulsory....?

Frankly I'll be dead and gone so won't really give a toss!