Over a million people are not having their basic care needs met

Odd isn't it, happy to gamble on the economy but not happy with the level of care provided whilst the economy was going well.

It is only going to get worse, and pretty soon. The foreign nurses propping up the collapsing system as is will soon head to other EU countries now that the pound has collapsed.

Don't know what you are alluding to. Are you trying to turn this thread into a left wing and anti Brexit discussion? If so, it would be far more productive if you could stay on topic and tell us more about the Dutch system of care and what/if we can learn from it. How will the care of your own parents be managed should the need arise?

BTW there are millions of old people who are still contributing to the economy. I see ample evidence of this every time I stand at the school gates - grandparents providing free child care, thus allowing their own children to go to work. Also giving their offspring a helping hand with their first home, not to mention providing emotional and practical support. Some do valuable voluntary work.

Edited by Jomie

Don't know what you are alluding to. Are you trying to turn this thread into a left wing and anti Brexit discussion? If so, it would be far more productive if you could stay on topic and tell us more about the Dutch system of care and what/if we can learn from it. How will the care of your own parents be managed should the need arise?

Not alluding to anything, one of the biggest expenses for the country is healthcare, it is already in dire need of further investment to meet the growing needs of the ageing population.

Yet it was that same population, including Anna, who took a gamble on the economy by voting Brexit. That has led to a significant drop in the value of the pound meaning that foreign workers are far less enticed to come and work for the NHS than they once were, we are talking about 26% of the doctors of the NHS who, if they were here to make a better living have just seen their income drop by 20% within a year and a half, as compared to the country that they came from. I won't even begin explaining what it does to the cost of medicine (US, Germany), high tech equipment (Germany, Netherlands) and so on.

The key-bottleneck for basic care is at the councils, there is no joined up framework between councils and primary care trusts leading to more and more stress in the system. Those councils have seen their budgets slashed and that is likely to continue, despite the Tories saying they will raise care budgets by 3,5Bn in 2020. Drop of water into the ocean that. Care workers often get paid a tiny wage for horrendously hard work, not exactly a career that attracts and retains its most talented staff.

There is nothing 'left' about that point of view by the way, to me the only solution (that will be mooted soon enough by politicians) is to stop the NHS being a free-for-all, get people to pay an insurance premium for a complete care-package, including in the home.

I know somebody who died in a care home due to inadequate care, I would never put my relatives in one if I could care for them.

For the sake of balance, I have to add that not all care homes are bad. Just don't be taken in by the glossy brochures promising the world. They often can't deliver.

Home care is also expensive for the pensioner. I don't think people realise how much the OAP is meant to contribute to the cost, and what little is done for the money. Pay for an hour, but only get a rushed 10 minutes in my experience.There is a calculator on the BBC website (bbc.co.uk/care) but it isn't very informative, and calculations vary widely.

Before hard working care assistants pounce, I don't blame them, I blame a system that doesn't allow them the time to do a good job. They are also hamstrung by a long list of restrictions meant to protect OAP, but in effect often make them their own worst enemy. I know of one OAP who hasn't had a bath in over a year, (not sure they've even had a wash,) but carers don't have time for gentle persuasion or coercion.

I have personal experience, but I cannot give details over a public forum. The person in question has now died.

I am genuinely very sorry to here that. I don't need to hear the details but if you feel you can, take it forward.

But I'd equally I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. They don't make it easy.

I have visited care homes that have looked beautiful and clean, but the service users are not having their basic care needs met, to the point where I have had to alert safeguarding and involve advocates. It's all show for the relatives to be easily tricked into thinking it must be good because it smells of money.