Poll: should Sir Philip Green lose his knighthood?

Should Sir Philip Green Lose His Knighthood?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sir Philip Green Lose His Knighthood?

• Yes
    • No

The fundamental issue is whether given what we know now he would have been awarded the knighthood.

That's a massive no. He's freely admitted to playing a part in the destruction of an iconic British high street brand, contributing to a £500m pension black hole and over 10,000 job losses.

Given he was awarded his knighthood for services to retailing there is no way he should keep it.

Look, let's just get rid of the honours system. The whole thing is a very bad joke; and yes, the grasping git should have his Sirdom removed.

I'm not a great fan of the honours system either. However there are a great many people who should get recognition for the work they do in the community. Like the elderly guy who lost his wife and daughter to cancer many years ago, and has spent something like 20 years pushing a pram round Sheffield to raise money for Macmillan Nurses.

To my mind, he stands head and shoulders above the likes of Philip Green and the 'Bufton Tuftons' who get a gong for knowing the right people in power, and simply doing their jobs.

The Panorama programme this week was very enlightening, interesting and generally quite well done.

I had wrongly presumed that he was acknowledged for turning around BHS's fate (albeit extremely briefly) by increasing profits through sales. This obviously was not the case.

---------- Post added 15-10-2016 at 00:33 ----------

I'm not a great fan of the honours system either. However there are a great many people who should get recognition for the work they do in the community. Like the elderly guy who lost his wife and daughter to cancer many years ago, and has spent something like 20 years pushing a pram round Sheffield to raise money for Macmillan Nurses.

To my mind, he stands head and shoulders above the likes of Philip Green and the 'Bufton Tuftons' who get a gong for knowing the right people in power, and simply doing their jobs.

Indeed.

As you brought up our worthy John Burkhill, I thought I'd draw your attention to this, in case you missed it.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1486303

he should keep it ..he deserves it..

better question should be, should the 'stupid prehistoric awards for whatever' , be done with ? answer ..Yes

Stupid prehistoric awards for whatever?

---------- Post added 15-10-2016 at 01:03 ----------

why was he given one in the first place.

........Agreed!

why was he given one in the first place.

Sir John, a former chief executive of oil giant Shell and Dixons chairman, put forward Sir Philip forward for a knighthood in 2006.

He headed the Whitehall honours committee at the time and recommended the tycoon on the basis of his track record in retail, backing for a high street training academy and his integrity.

Sir John told the Mirror: “It is the last one of those I would be saying to the committee that reviews whether knighthoods are removed, has he acted with integrity?

“I would say there is sufficient cause for concern that I would refer it to the committee to make the judgement.”

Asked, knowing what he now knows, if he would recommend Sir Philip for knighthood, he said: “No is the answer.”

Asked why, he said: “From all I have read, integrity in relation to dividends paid and the going concern aspect of the company that left 11,000 people without jobs, and the sale of BHS and the quality of the due diligence and the decision to sale it with the question mark over whether the buyer had the credentials to make it work.

“A very high level of dividends were paid out of the company and the company has now found itself no longer a going concern.

“You would have to questions whether those dividends were affordable.

At the time nobody knew all these extra details. Watch the Panorama programme.

You mean John Birkhill ?with the green wig