One stop flights

you will make it. But your bags might not. Your bags stand less of a chance of making it than you do. But who cares. You'll get the bags a day or two later at your final destination.

If you're on your outbound journey you probably care quite a lot. Having a holiday with no clothes, no swimwear, no toiletries, etc is not ideal.

If you've just had a long haul flight, which it probably is if there's a transfer, then you want clean clothes as soon as you've showered and/or slept.

if one of the flights is delayed, then even though you're annoyed about it, you do at least know they'll put you up in a hotel and feed you and so on while they sort you out with another one.

but if you have an onward flight with a low-cost carrier that can't be part of the codeshare, because they are not a full-service airline, then you've lost that.

---------- Post added 17-10-2016 at 19:46 ----------

If you're on your outbound journey you probably care quite a lot. Having a holiday with no clothes, no swimwear, no toiletries, etc is not ideal.

If you've just had a long haul flight, which it probably is if there's a transfer, then you want clean clothes as soon as you've showered and/or slept.

true. That happened to a friend of mine once coming from Japan. She was convinced that she'd lost her bags permanently although I did say don't worry about it they'll get here in a couple of days she wouldn't believe me. The bags did arrive about 2 days later. But as you say she needed a few clothes in the meantime. It must be embarrassing when you're 23 years old and find yourself looking round the children's clothes section in a British department store.

if one of the flights is delayed, then even though you're annoyed about it, you do at least know they'll put you up in a hotel and feed you and so on while they sort you out with another one.

but if you have an onward flight with a low-cost carrier that can't be part of the codeshare, because they are not a full-service airline, then you've lost that.

That is also the case with full service airlines, if flights are not on the same ticket. Miss your onward flight due to the inbound flight arriving late then the airline even if both flights are with the same airline is under no obligation to look after you and offer a free rebooking onto the next available flight.

---------- Post added 17-10-2016 at 20:11 ----------

but the airlines pride themselves on being able to absolutely guarantee an hour. .

What do mean by that ?

I’m not an expert, but I am a frequent business flyer to C&N America, W&E Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia.

I’m a little concerned by some of the advice and comments given above.

It’s probably best to work backwards:

If you have booked each leg of your flight separately, then you will always have to collect your luggage at each destination and check it in again.

If you are flying in to, or via, the USA, you will always have to collect your baggage at the first airport you land at in the US even if this is on one ticket to your final destination. (For example, whether I am flying to Austin, Texas or Costa Rica via Houston, it doesn’t matter. I will still be required to collect my baggage in Houston, take it through customs and then check it in again.)

There are also some other countries where you will always have to collect your luggage and check it in again, even if you are only passing through that country on one ticket, en route to another country. (For example, most of the Balkan countries require this.)

If you are flying to many other countries, but you initially land at a different airport in that country, you are likely to be required to collect your luggage at each destination and check it in again. However, if you are flying to another international destination on one ticket, your luggage will probably be automatically transferred. (For example, if you are flying through Istanbul en route to another country, your luggage will almost certainly be checked through, but passengers flying to Izmir or Antalya will be required to collect their luggage, with the Istanbul/Antalya leg being treated as simply an internal flight).

Don’t rely on what staff tell you when you originally check in. This will often be wrong.

Don’t travel via CdG if you can help it – your luggage will inevitably miss the connection (for me, twice this year alone) or Johannesburg (where BA will lose it for days).

Do travel via Vienna – incredibly efficient, even with quick transfers.

Expect chaos in Nairobi and Dakar.

Expect Air Moldova to have the worst meals in Europe. 1960s British Rail sandwiches were gourmet in comparison.

Stay alert, but relax, at all times. Enjoy.

I got a reply from Aegean yesterday saying this:

Regarding to your inquiry please be informed that if all flight segments have been ticketed under the same ticket number, your luggage will be checked till the final destination.

In case that, the flight segment are issued under separate tickets you will have to pick your luggage from Athens airport. Moreover, according to official information received by Athens Airport Authorities, forty five (45) minutes is the minimum connecting time required, in order for you to catch your connecting flight smoothly.

When you go on a flight and you have to change planes as it is not a direct flight, do the airlines automatically transfer luggage between the flights, or do you have to collect it and check it in for the second flight?

They have always done so for all the connecting flights we have taken. One point to watch is the connecting time, the shorter it is the greater the chance your luggage won`t make it onto the second flight. I`ve had my luggage mislaid twice, both times at Paris CDG, and both times it was with a relatively short connection. Fortunately, both times, I got the luggage back within days (it`s sent on by carrier) and it was on the return journey, which is far less inconvenient. The moral is, if you get to choose the flights, make sure you`ve adequate connection time, particularly on the outbound leg.

We travelled to the USA last year, via Dublin, where you go through USA customs and immigration - our luggage was checked straight through to Boston, we didn't have to collect it in Dublin to go through customs - and yes, it arrived in Boston at the same time as we did!!!!!

We travelled to the USA last year, via Dublin, where you go through USA customs and immigration - our luggage was checked straight through to Boston, we didn't have to collect it in Dublin to go through customs - and yes, it arrived in Boston at the same time as we did!!!!!

All the USA bound baggage would have been rescreened in Dublin to meet US baggage screening requirements. Same thing happens at Shannon airport, there is a US customs and border control point there. It also means you don't have to go through immigration in the US.

baggage transfer is based on whether or not the airlines involved have an "Interline agreement." If they have, your baggage will be transferred . If they don't then you will be responsible for the transfer. When making the booking, the reservation agent should know. If you forget to ask, ask the check in agent.

I have used Heathrow many many times over the years and never had a CNX problem.