Worst gig at sheffield city hall!!!

Yes FAUST were the worst , When the concrete block and road digger came on ,the staff pulled the switch and stopped the show , they should have done it earlier. But i thought the Ham Clock was someone else , a band dressed as wizards. My mate Bothamlad knows the name.😎

On 06/05/2006 at 19:01, martinC said:

i hope that someone out there was at the faust gig around 1974 so to prove i didnt dream it.faust brought an album out called the faust tapes and it cost 49p i think.it was full of german experimental music which at times sounded like half a dozen vacuums hoovering the carpet.anyway i went to see them and gong were the support.before the gig,gong were outside giving felt pens away,i can remember them telling people to go and paint the sky with them!!when on stage i can recall the front man saying that the next song was about a clock made of ham!!! cant remember anymore stuff about gong.faust came on stage in total darkness,no stage lights,the only light came from the tvs and pinball machine(i think) that were on stage with them.

suddenly came an horrendous noise like an alarm clock going off,absolutely deafening and after some more bizarre noises they got booed off.the house lights came on and there was a big lump of rock with a pneumatic drill in the centre of the stage-hence the noise like an alarm clock!

the bass player was still on stage sat in an armchair and said he was gonna play a song that consisted of one note and lasted 15 minutes-he got booed off rather sharpish...can anyone add anything to my recollections!! i hope so even though it was over 30 years ago..

Yes,I was there and I agree it was terrible. We sneaked in up the fire escape leading to the balcony,only to find that the balcony had been closed due to a lack of ticket sales and we were the only ones up there as everyone else had been moved downstairs! We did stick around long enough though to witness the concrete drilling song before being thrown out! I recall it being a catchy little number that we whistled all the way home on the bus!

The most disappointing gig I remember was Led Zeppelin when Robert Plant had laryngitis but tried to sing anyway. What a trooper. But I think really he should have gone home to bed with  a Lemsip (or something stronger!)

On 21/02/2019 at 23:01, Ontarian1981 said:

Ten Years After were one of the standout acts at the orignal Woodstock Festval.They were fronted by the late Alvin Lee,an outstanding rock guitarist and originally from Nottingham and Mansfield.

True. Unfortunately as gifted as Alvin was he always attempted to break the land speed record for playing the fastest licks.

It was frantic and often unlistenable even if  it was technically sound.

As always, I have to add, in my opinion 

On 21/02/2019 at 23:01, Ontarian1981 said:

Ten Years After were one of the standout acts at the orignal Woodstock Festval.They were fronted by the late Alvin Lee,an outstanding rock guitarist and originally from Nottingham and Mansfield.

Fun fact - Alvin Lee was my older brothers best mates uncle. One of my favourite T shirts as a youth was  one celebrating an album he made with Mylon Le Fevre called 'On the road to freedom'. It already had holes in it by the time I got my hands on it and probably gave up the ghost sometime around the early 80's.

Edited by Halibut

19 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

True. Unfortunately as gifted as Alvin was he always attempted to break the land speed record for playing the fastest licks.

It was frantic and often unlistenable even if  it was technically sound.

As always, I have to add, in my opinion 

Funny how both the Lees were fast on the frets. Alvin and Albert( no relation) the latter being one of my favourites when I am in a country/rock mood. Ironic that an Englishman should win the best country guitar picker award five times, especially when his competition included the likes of Vince Gill and James Burton among many others.

Only gig I've ever got my money back for was the sweet and mud at the city Hall. Can't remember the year, late 80s/early 90s. Mud didn't even bother turning up, and were replaced by kenny, who played their 1 hit and a load of covers, then the sweet came on, or rather Brian connolly and some session musicians. Connolly was so drunk he couldn't stand up without holding on to the mic stand, and the rest of the band had to keep reminding him which song he was supposed to be singing.