Why do postcards take so long to be delivered ?

I know some people think postcards are old hat, but most people don`t. They still like receiving a handwritten card with a foreign stamp on it and a picture of where the senders are holidaying. But why do postcards take so long to be delivered ? I`ve heard allsorts of theories that the post office doesn`t see them as a priority* but in practice how would that actually translate into them taking longer to arrive ? When the post office sorter sees a post card are we saying he puts it in a sack and leaves it for a week ? ! ? Surely it`s just as efficient for him to put it in the same place as the letters ! We sent some cards from Crete and they took 10 days (incl two weekends) to get back, where were those cards waiting ? And why ?

* They are a bit of a priority, most people like their cards to get to their family and friends before they get back from holiday.......

Incidentally, on a related point, only ever use the official post service. We once sent a load of cards back from Tenerife using Swisspost / Easypost (a private sector operator, there are a few of them out there) and they never arrived, and that is a frequent occurrence.

Edited by Justin Smith

There use to be an old joke that whenever Scotland qualified for a football tournament, then they would be home before the postcards. Nowadays it is England who are home before the postcards and Scotland never qualify for a tournament.

I posted some postcards from Spain 43 years ago. Two of them have still not arrived !! :hihi:

:hihi: Contact the Sheffield Star about it and have your face photographed holding a spanish postcard. Remember to have a very unimpressed expression! :hihi: