Who's had a Pacemaker fitted?

My Dad's heart is beating too slow after many scans and monitoring the heart rate over the night it looks like an Pacemaker is on the horizon. Has anyone on here had this operation recently how did it go and what changes has it had on your life , medication that sort of thing?

Edited by crookedspire

I had a pacemaker fitted in February because my heart rate fell and my heart stopped for several seconds, once for 7 seconds whilst I in hospital waiting for the procedure.

However, I initially went in because my heart beat was going up to 200+ bpm and the stoppages were only detected after I had a monitor implanted.

The pacemaker kicks in when my heart rate goes below 40 bpm, which is about 2-3 % of the time.

The drugs I have are for the racing heart beat plus anti-coagulants as they detected atrial fibrillation too but none for the stoppages or slow heart rate as they are managed by the pacemaker.

As I didn't know about the stoppages and afib there's been no affect on my life-style but the drugs for the fast rate mean I can do extreme exercise without having to stop due to dizzy spells.

Hope this all helps.

I had a pacemaker fitted in February because my heart rate fell and my heart stopped for several seconds, once for 7 seconds whilst I in hospital waiting for the procedure.

However, I initially went in because my heart beat was going up to 200+ bpm and the stoppages were only detected after I had a monitor implanted.

The pacemaker kicks in when my heart rate goes below 40 bpm, which is about 2-3 % of the time.

The drugs I have are for the racing heart beat plus anti-coagulants as they detected atrial fibrillation too but none for the stoppages or slow heart rate as they are managed by the pacemaker.

As I didn't know about the stoppages and afib there's been no affect on my life-style but the drugs for the fast rate mean I can do extreme exercise without having to stop due to dizzy spells.

Hope this all helps.

Thanks for the reply. My Dads problem is opposite to yours though he does not get dizziness yet more when first gets up in the morning feels odd so has to lay down again .

I had the pacemaker fitted for the same reason your father is, by the sounds of it. It's to prevent the slowing down, and sometimes stopping, of my heart while sleeping or at rest.

They only found that after I had a monitor fitted for the dizziness.

My FiL had one fitted over 25 years ago : his heart beat was 'incredibly' slow, so the pacemaker was fitted to boost when required.

Apart from periodic battery and wiring checks, he's not experienced any problems over the years, although he still feels icy cold even on the hottest summer day, and dresses accordingly!

Also worth mentioning that he's 92 and counting!

My Dad's heart is beating too slow after many scans and monitoring the heart rate over the night it looks like an Pacemaker is on the horizon. Has anyone on here had this operation recently how did it go and what changes has it had on your life , medication that sort of thing?

My husband had one fitted yesterday in Rotherham General Hospital. He was there at 8am home by 4.30pm. Everything went well touch wood. he had a good night's sleep he was up bright and early this morning as usual. He has been given a monitor that he keeps in his possession and is plugged into an electrical socket and it relays his heart beat back to the hospital via the mobile phone network all through the night, it's the size of a smart phone see the link below.

https://www.biotronik.com/en-ch/products/crm/transmitter/cardiomessenger-smart

He says the doctors and nurses were absolutely brilliant.

Are you sure that's a pacemaker and not an arrythmia monitoring device ?

On my Dads letter it says an pacemaker is to be fitted. Yes in the past he's had to wear an heart monitor for 24 hours to see what the heart rate is for both day and night . The result has shown he's got a slow heart beat the heart slows down at night naturally but his is too slow hence in the morning feels off it or weak.

On my Dads letter it says an pacemaker is to be fitted. Yes in the past he's had to wear an heart monitor for 24 hours to see what the heart rate is for both day and night . The result has shown he's got a slow heart beat the heart slows down at night naturally but his is too slow hence in the morning feels off it or weak.

I'm sure you are right.

I was referring to NARMI'S post

Regards