Tracy Brabin mp

I was just wondering if it was allowed for mps to advertise financial services for private companies for gain.

Id be very surprised if it was.

Thought someone may know.

People keep telling you the answer.

They arent allowed to behave in a way that presents them in a conflicted light.

They have to abide by the code of conduct for MPS , which covers several principles including intergirty and

" Honesty

Holders of public office have a duty to declare any private interests relating to their public duties and to take steps to resolve any conflicts arising in a way that protects the public interest. "

That doesnt mean they cant have commercial interests. They declare that on the members of registered interests. If in doubt they would ask the parliamentary commissioner for standards to give them a ruling.

As pointed out none of this applies until she becomes an MP.

Big difference between dog food and financial services id have thought.

Everyone seems to be missing that point though.

I assume that recommending a financial institution would maybe be seen as giving it some kind of government backing by proxy and that wouldnt be allowed?!

Big difference between dog food and financial services id have thought.

Everyone seems to be missing that point though.

I assume that recommending a financial institution would maybe be seen as giving it some kind of government backing by proxy and that wouldnt be allowed?!

I understand the point you are making. If for example the chancellor of the exchequer was involved in an advert for financial services, then it would clearly be an issue.

I understand the point you are making. If for example the chancellor of the exchequer was involved in an advert for financial services, then it would clearly be an issue.

Except the point everyone else is making is that she isnt an MP so therefore there is no conflict.

All professions and organisations have codes of conduct, which explain what to do in situations where a conflict arises.

Except the point everyone else is making is that she isnt an MP so therefore there is no conflict.

All professions and organisations have codes of conduct, which explain what to do in situations where a conflict arises.

Yes the OP is assuming the lady will be elected and is wondering whether there will be a conflict of interest, even though she did the work before she became an MP.

Yes the OP is assuming the lady will be elected and is wondering whether there will be a conflict of interest, even though she did the work before she became an MP.

Looks like she will be a target for news, its a shame she wont be able to say that she has won a fair election.

Looks like she will be a target for news, its a shame she wont be able to say that she has won a fair election.

What point are you trying to make ?

The other major parties are not fielding candidates out of respect for Jo Cox and rightly so.