Tracy Brabin mp

Once she's elected she won't need to do adverts etc.

There's plenty of money/allowances to be claimed and she can also employ her husband/partner/relatives as advisers, secretaries etc.

I don't think we need to worry about a few quid from adverts on TV at the moment.

What point are you trying to make ?

The other major parties are not fielding candidates out of respect for Jo Cox and rightly so.

MPs are elected, many want the House of Lords to be elected, once you are elected you have a mandate.

Brabin will not have a mandate.

Jeremy Corbyn increased his mandate as Labour leader, once was not enough; he had to be elected twice.

MPs are elected, many want the House of Lords to be elected, once you are elected you have a mandate.

Brabin will not have a mandate.

Jeremy Corbyn increased his mandate as Labour leader, once was not enough; he had to be elected twice.

Ofc she will have a mandate based on the number of people who vote for her.

Corby had a mandate from party members, but he didnt have the confidence of the parliamentary party. He wont get a mandate from the country.

There are at least 6 people standing for this election, as either Labour or Independent, but all the media attention has been on Tracy Brabin, none of the others have had a look in. I have nothing against her, but she has no experience yet seems to have it all sewn up thanks to her 'fame.'

Is this the right criteria for a would-be politician, or is it even fair?

There are at least 6 people standing for this election, as either Labour or Independent, but all the media attention has been on Tracy Brabin, none of the others have had a look in. I have nothing against her, but she has no experience yet seems to have it all sewn up thanks to her 'fame.'

The Conservatives, the Lib Dems, UKIP and the Green Party all said they were not going to contest the by-election out of respect for Jo Cox, so there isn't a great deal of competition.

As you say, there are other candidates (I believe 10 in total) but they are from small fringe parties (like the BNP or the National Front) or independents and don't really have a chance.

It is a pretty safe labour seat (Labour poll over 40% of the vote). I don't think Tracy Brabin has it 'sewn up' because of her fame, I think she has it sewn up because Labour would likely win anyway, and will definitely win when there really isn't any real competition.

It's eminently fair. The people of Spen voted for a Labour MP and they would reasonable expect to have one unti the next general election. This wasnt an MP dying from illness, or being recalled and kicked out or doing time for expenses fraud - she was of course murdered. It's only reasonable and fair, as well as befitting the dignity of her office and herself that the other parties would not contest the seat. By doing so all they do is return to the status quo that was already in place and keeping the wishes of the constituents.

I'd like to think that the same would happen in the case of an MP being killed in a road accident or similar but I cannot think of another case off the top of my head when an MP has suddenly died traumatically in the recent past?