Tracy Brabin mp

It's eminently fair. The people of Spen voted for a Labour MP and they would reasonable expect to have one unti the next general election. This wasnt an MP dying from illness, or being recalled and kicked out or doing time for expenses fraud - she was of course murdered. It's only reasonable and fair, as well as befitting the dignity of her office and herself that the other parties would not contest the seat. By doing so all they do is return to the status quo that was already in place and keeping the wishes of the constituents.

I'd like to think that the same would happen in the case of an MP being killed in a road accident or similar but I cannot think of another case off the top of my head when an MP has suddenly died traumatically in the recent past?

Well said.

The last MP to be murdered before Jo Cox was Ian Gow. However, all the parties did stand in the resulting bye election, which ended up with the seat changing from Conservative to Lib Dem.

Well said.

The last MP to be murdered before Jo Cox was Ian Gow. However, all the parties did stand in the resulting bye election, which ended up with the seat changing from Conservative to Lib Dem.

And the other MPs that were killed, all had a election as a result. I guess we are becoming a society were the emotional aspect of things comes first.

No one is suggesting that MPs will be killed, for political reasons.

---------- Post added 20-10-2016 at 10:26 ----------

I'd like to think that the same would happen in the case of an MP being killed in a road accident or similar but I cannot think of another case off the top of my head when an MP has suddenly died traumatically in the recent past?

Is that different from Cameron standing down, or someone dying of cancer or a heart attack?

And the other MPs that were killed, all had a election as a result. I guess we are becoming a society were the emotional aspect of things comes first.

No one is suggesting that MPs will be killed, for political reasons.

---------- Post added 20-10-2016 at 10:26 ----------

Is that different from Cameron standing down, or someone dying of cancer or a heart attack?

The murder of Jo Cox happened at an unique time in our history, and campaigning was suspended for the EU referendum for several days as a consequence of the incident, for both emotional and respectful reasons.

David Cameron quickly made a deferential decision, that the Conservatives would not field a candidate in the future by election. It's a remarkable coincidence that a by election is taking place on the same day for David Cameron's former constituency, but for completely different reasons. Both new MPs elected today, will have a mandate to sit in the House of Commons and to suggest otherwise is complete nonsense.

Edited by Gamston
typo

It's eminently fair. The people of Spen voted for a Labour MP and they would reasonable expect to have one until the next general election.

It's a remarkable coincidence that a bye election is taking place on the same day for David Cameron's former constituency, but for completely different reasons. Both new MPs elected today, will have a mandate to sit in the House of Commons and to suggest otherwise is complete nonsense.

I guess the 150,000 electorate in both Witney and Batley/Spen expected to elect a MP for 5 years.

I guess the 150,000 electorate in both Witney and Batley/Spen expected to elect a MP for 5 years.

And I guess Jo Cox's husband wasn't expecting to go to his wife's funeral this year.

Tomorrow Witney will have a Conservative MP and Batley/Spen will have a Labour MP, but Jo Cox's children won't have a Mother.

Edited by Gamston
put the 'n' in Witney

Tomorrow Whitey will have a Conservative MP and Batley/Spen will have a Labour MP, but Jo Cox's children won't have a Mother.

I can give them £1,000 but it will not bring their mother back, neither will having a half cocked election.

Flowers are the normal way to show sympathy.

You honestly cant tell the difference between the murder of an MP carrying out their democratic duty by someone seeking to undermine that process and someone who dies from natural causes or chooses to resign?

You honestly cant tell the difference between the murder of an MP carrying out their democratic duty by someone seeking to undermine that process and someone who dies from natural causes or chooses to resign?

There was a fair election when Ian Gow, Anthony Berry, Robert Bradford and Airey Neave were murdered.

I wonder if this is the way things will go, choosing candidates who have had a career in soaps?

Already happened in 2005:

Ex-Corrie star could be Tory MP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4352822.stm

And lets never forget this:

Jordan to stand as MP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-48367/Jordan-stand-MP.html