The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

That really is a silly question, because there are no guarantees about how successful any new trade deals will fair. The point is the UK will have more control about trade agreements, when we will be negotiating for ourselves, rather than being 1/28th of the EU. Brazil is struggling at the moment, but it is still in the top ten of World economies and is likely to become a bigger player in the future. I would be very surprised if the UK, being the World's fifth biggest economy can't achieve an improved trade agreement with Brazil.

The UK are leaving the EU and we should all be hoping we arrange better trade agreements with all countries outside the EU, regardless of how we voted in the referendum. It really is time moaning Remain voters, got behind our country and adopted an half full attitude, rather than a sulky half empty outlook.

Remain voters are behind the country and simply don't want us to take a leap in the dark.

Transitional arrangements are best and that is what will happen.

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 20:54 ----------

Well, seeing as the UK will be one of Brazil`s biggest customers for their coffee , it would be like Turkeys voting for christmas

Is this a joke? You think a trade deal with the biggest country in South America will be hinging on coffee exports.

The things Im reading here are as idiotic as Johnson's prosecco comments which have made him a laughing stock in the EU.

Well, seeing as the UK will be one of Brazil`s biggest customers for their coffee , it would be like Turkeys voting for christmas

Are you all buying the same Christmas crackers? https://www.reference.com/geography/brazil-s-main-exports-c1e9d7d85db2bc05

Don't think they'll be losing much sleep on our coffee consumption that comes from all over the world anyway.

Mervyn King says the UK should leave the single market to take full advantage of negotiating our own trade deals.

Project fear,nobody has any respect or believes what so called experts say,nobody bothered about what Carney says or has said,everybody is their own expert and makes their minds up depending on what media sites they read online,so what Mervyn King says is just more hot air blowing by to be ignored.

Just been watching the news. What a shame Lord King is not the governor of the Bank of England. He is saying there are opportunities for economic reform after Brexit and it could be a success. All that scaremongering we got from Carney, wish he would hand his notice in and let's have a new governor of the Bank of England, I don't trust him, he probably wants Brexit to fail so he could say I told you so.

Just been watching the news. What a shame Lord King is not the governor of the Bank of England. He is saying there are opportunities for economic reform after Brexit and it could be a success. All that scaremongering we got from Carney, wish he would hand his notice in and let's have a new governor of the Bank of England, I don't trust him, he probably wants Brexit to fail so he could say I told you so.

Elsewhere in the Radio 4 interview, Lord King defended current Bank of England governor Mark Carney, who was criticised by multiple politicians over comments he made before the EU referendum. But Lord King said that Carney had been placed in an "almost impossible position" and should be allowed to issue warnings about potential impacts of a Brexit vote.

---------- Post added 26-12-2016 at 10:23 ----------

I can't understand why this single market card is still on the table after the vote,as it obviously is,with King trying to send a message to the suits who will be negotiating this.

Leading Brexit campaigners like Gove were pretty clear that leaving the single market was an objective of leaving,and he wanted to be the Prime Minister negotiating this position.Now he is waiting to see what May is going to come up with,so there is a chance that people in the same party,who wanted out of the single market and campaigned on that position,might not get the Brexit they wanted,as won't the thousands who must have listened to this and voted on what he was campaigning for............the UK should be as much part of the EU as America and Russia are after the vote,it's what was campaigned for and what should be delivered.

Edited by chalga

What a shame Lord King is not the governor of the Bank of England. He is saying there are opportunities for economic reform after Brexit and it could be a success.

Once he is not employed by the Government, he is able to be more frank and speak his own mind.

I am sure Carney will give similar interviews when he is back in Canada. King has spoken about the impotence of quantitative easing and the bubble of house prices, but only once he left the Governor role.

Elsewhere in the Radio 4 interview, Lord King defended current Bank of England governor Mark Carney, who was criticised by multiple politicians over comments he made before the EU referendum. But Lord King said that Carney had been placed in an "almost impossible position" and should be allowed to issue warnings about potential impacts of a Brexit vote.

---------- Post added 26-12-2016 at 10:23 ----------

I can't understand why this single market card is still on the table after the vote,as it obviously is,with King trying to send a message to the suits who will be negotiating this.

Leading Brexit campaigners like Gove were pretty clear that leaving the single market was an objective of leaving,and he wanted to be the Prime Minister negotiating this position.Now he is waiting to see what May is going to come up with,so there is a chance that people in the same party,who wanted out of the single market and campaigned on that position,might not get the Brexit they wanted,as won't the thousands who must have listened to this and voted on what he was campaigning for............the UK should be as much part of the EU as America and Russia are after the vote,it's what was campaigned for and what should be delivered.

It is most likely that we will continue to pay into the EU just to be part of the single market and to continue trading with it. In order to trade with the EU bloc we will still be bound by their legislation. To top it all off we'll need to pay tens of billions to the EU just to leave. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Also, we will no longer have a voice within Europe. Good work there.