The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

The FTSE 250(British companies) reached a high, but has since come down, and is now just bubbling along.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 09:19 ----------

Brexit secretary Greg Hands said the UK would consider PAYING for "best possible" single market access; since many people voted leave because of the millions that we paid to the EU, its almost like we are not leaving.

We won't be paying for anything, it's going to be a hard brexit= http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-article-50-david-davis-single-market-eu-customs-union-a7354771.html

That article is three months old. Davis has suggested the option of paying for access since then.

Someone asked Mr Davis a question in he House Of Commons and he only said the UK would consider contributing to the EU budget, in return for access to the single market. Any fee would have to be nominal, because the EU export more to he UK than the UK export to the EU.

Someone asked Mr Davis a question in he House Of Commons and he only said the UK would consider contributing to the EU budget, in return for access to the single market. Any fee would have to be nominal, because the EU export more to he UK than the UK export to the EU.

What did Davis actually say about the cost? Not much I think you're going to find.

Reason is were looking at approaching £6bn a year to get the kind of access Davis described. Norway, a country with 90% less people than the UK, pays almost £1bn.

The balance of trade between the UK and the EU isn't a factor in the fee. If anything we should be seeking to reverse that negative trading balance, not enshrine it in an agreement, weirdly celebrating it and trying to use it as some kind of bizarre and undignified bargaining chip.

If the EU persists with its stupid fee movement of people nonsense then they can stick their single market up their ass for me.

Is it stupid? Free movement of workers is a cornerstone of capitalism, first discussed by Adam Smith 240 years ago:

"There must be free movement for all in the system so that each man might seek the best opportunity for his labor or resources. And there must be free competition among all, for the buyer’s shilling, for markets, for labor and for jobs. "

What has changed Alan? Why is it different now?

Aren't the likes of Fox, Davis and Rees-Mogg in favour of free trade, and basically supporters of the classical ideas of capitalism?

If so, then why would they seek to shut off the free movement of labour?

I'm going to give you a big clue here: they don't want to shut off the free movement of labour. Very far from it actually.

I'm going to give you a big clue here: they don't want to shut off the free movement of labour. Very far from it actually.

That is why people voted to leave the EU in June, and nothing has happened. Immigration from inside and outside the EU is still at record high levels.

They dont want to reduce immigration, but the might have, in the end.

What did Davis actually say about the cost? Not much I think you're going to find.

Reason is were looking at approaching £6bn a year to get the kind of access Davis described. Norway, a country with 90% less people than the UK, pays almost £1bn.

The balance of trade between the UK and the EU isn't a factor in the fee. If anything we should be seeking to reverse that negative trading balance, not enshrine it in an agreement, weirdly celebrating it and trying to use it as some kind of bizarre and undignified bargaining chip.

He never said anything, because he was only answering a question in Parliament. Of course the balance of trade figure between the UK and EU should be a factor, in any discussions about a fee, It makes no common sense for the UK to leave the EU, then continue making large contrubutions to a bunch of parasites. Look at it this way, if your local supermarket said you had to pay an annual fee of £1000 or pay an extra 10% charge on everything you bought, then I can't see there being many takers on shoppers paying the fee.

You are correct, the UK should be planning to reverse the current negative trading balance.

---------- Post added 10-12-2016 at 15:40 ----------

If the EU persists with its stupid fee movement of people nonsense then they can stick their single market up their ass for me.

Agreed .......

He never said anything, because he was only answering a question in Parliament. Of course the balance of trade figure between the UK and EU should be a factor, in any discussions about a fee, It makes no common sense for the UK to leave the EU, then continue making large contrubutions to a bunch of parasites. Look at it this way, if your local supermarket said you had to pay an annual fee of £1000 or pay an extra 10% charge on everything you bought, then I can't see there being many takers on shoppers paying the fee.

You are correct, the UK should be planning to reverse the current negative trading balance.

---------- Post added 10-12-2016 at 15:40 ----------

Agreed .......

Unfortunately it's not going to work like that. We won't be setting the price. The EU will be setting it. And it isn't related to the balance of trade anyway. To give you a flavour of how Norway's contributions add up see:

http://www.eu-norway.org/eu/Financial-contribution/#.WEwnFH1mIVo

It's actually highly disingenuous to describe the contributions as a fee for single market access. It's way more than that, and covers a lot of areas that mutually benefit Norway, the EU and the EEA.

As for the free movement bit where do you think the workers are going to come from?