The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

So what certification standard will toys need to conform to?

The change will be gradual, but I expect there will be British standards for many things in time, which in some cases will be shamelessly copied from other standards.

But product standards are only part of market regulation.

What do you think of GM crops? The EU has, basically, a blanket ban. I think that's [expletive deleted] stupid.

Edited by unbeliever

The change will be gradual, but I expect there will be British standards for many things in time, which in some cases will be shamelessly copied from other standards.

But product standards are only part of market regulation.

Just imagine if every country in the EU had standards that were the same but all a bit different! 28 different things for manufacturers to comply with; 28 different markings. What fun! (How pointless)

What do you think of GM crops? The EU has, basically, a blanket ban. I think that's [expletive deleted] stupid.

It's a technology and is neither good nor bad - it's how it's used that matters.

The problem with GM was that companies like Monsanto were patenting crops and trying to take hold of the supply chain. Farmers have always cross-bred crops, kept seed banks and so on - but the firms were trying to outlaw that and become the sole seed suppliers. They even went so far as to sue a farmer for growing their crop without a license - because the seed had blown on the wind and landed on his farm.

Some crops were modified to allow greater use of pesticides so that Monsanto could sell more chemical. People argued that this is an environmentally bad thing.

The blanket ban made sense at the time it was implemented.

GM crops have a lot of potential to help with the challenges we face with climate change.

When farmers decide they want to grow GM then they will lobby and regulations will change.

You must have some ideas about what you think is wrong.

You must have some idea of bad answers Amber Rudd could give to the questions you want to ask her about her tax affairs before she became an MP but you point blank refused to engage (saying such a conversation would be 'weird' IIRC) and now you are demanding another user answers a question that hasn't been asked yet. How's that work? Double standards much?

But I digress....

You must have some idea of bad answers Amber Rudd could give to the questions you want to ask her about her tax affairs before she became an MP but you point blank refused to engage (saying such a conversation would be 'weird' IIRC) and now you are demanding another user answers a question that hasn't been asked yet. How's that work? Double standards much?

But I digress....

It's perfectly reasonable to ask what someone thinks is wrong with EU standards, and why we should have our own.

The Amber Rudd thread is still open if you want to post there, so really just a reminder that we don't want this Brexit thread ruined again. Stick to the topic. Take your grudges to another thread.

It the UK wants to continue trading with the EU, then it makes sense that the UK will agree or keep current EU certification standards as part of BREXIT negotiations. Also all current EU laws will be transfered into English law and only scrapped or amended in the future if Parliament judge there is good reason to do so.