The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

You always are, where my posts are concerned..

Same time next year is the timescale, Grauniad says 3%, Cairncross said closer to 5%, I'm with Cairncross.

Feel free to bookmark the page URL.

You can tell me how completely wrong I am, if I am.

And I can point all the jobless, evictees and other starvers discontents to the consequences of your vote (topically for this thread) if I'm right.

Fair enough?

Deal. .

Deal.

Speaking of predictions, it looks like May and Rudd are intent on decimating, to potentially halving, the £10.7bn revenue which the UK's domestic higher education services industry gets from international students, in the name of politics :thumbsup:

Do you want to double or quit? :hihi:

Depends how they do it.

I doubt the Russel group will lose out.

Depends how they do it.

I doubt the Russel group will lose out.

Three of the RG's own institutions are not as optimistic as you:

There is anxiety in universities that the Home Office may rely on the Teaching Excellence Framework – the government’s new league table – to decide which “lower quality” institutions and courses to cut. Vice-chancellors warn this could have shocking consequences as some world-class research universities, including the London School of Economics, Bristol and King’s College London, are not predicted to score well in the new “gold, silver and bronze” rankings.
I wonder if Ms May can cut them a Nissan-like deal private chat sorry, to allay their fears?

Three of the RG's own institutions are not as optimistic as you:

I wonder if Ms May can cut them a Nissan-like deal private chat sorry, to allay their fears?

Okay. That's a potential minor issue, but Sheffield looks like doing well.

The chair of the TEF is a Hallam man by the way.

In more shock bad news, the collapse in Sterling since the referendum means Lego prices are going up 5%

This is outrageous. The public voted to stick two fingers up at the government, not pay more for their favourite Danish plastic bricks! This Brexit madness must end.

Walkers price marked crisp went up from 50p to 55p a pack, why no outrage over this but plenty over the price of Lego? :hihi:

Walkers price marked crisp went up from 50p to 55p a pack, why no outrage over this but plenty over the price of Lego? :hihi:

OMG - Walkers Cheese and Onion are my most favourite crisp ever. The bad news keeps on coming. This rises will be a big burden for me.

Does anyone have any links to the latest polls on Brexit. During a short search I could only find this one from September. That was before we all knew we had an inexperienced narcissistic loose cannon due into the Whitehouse.

Not that it matters of course, this is only for my own interest. I suspect that even if the polls had massively shifted in favour of staying in the EU (and I`m not saying that is the case, yet....) Leave would still be trumpeting it`d be "undemocratic" to have another vote under any circumstances.

Does anyone have any links to the latest polls on Brexit. During a short search I could only find this one from September. That was before we all knew we had an inexperienced narcissistic loose cannon due into the Whitehouse.

Not that it matters of course, this is only for my own interest. I suspect that even if the polls had massively shifted in favour of staying in the EU (and I`m not saying that is the case, yet....) Leave would still be trumpeting it`d be "undemocratic" to have another vote under any circumstances.

I have some terrible news for you. The polls haven't moved at all.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/8e293lt9rf/Eurotrack_October_Trackers_Website.pdf

This one shows 44% remain to 43% leave, which is pretty much the same as it was on the day of the referendum.

More telling however are the other polls. Most folk have moved on and are discussing what type of Brexit they want, and there are dozens of polls on that subject.

My personal favourite though are the opinion polls regarding parliament forcing a situation where Theresa May called an early election. The polls do have the tories with a huge lead, but should an election be forced in the circumstances described the tories would sweep all before them with UKIP getting a mighty boost in areas where there was a big vote for Brexit. That would presumably be the labour heartlands. Ironically the libs would gain too as polls suggest that they would pick up votes from folk clinging onto the hope that there will be a 2nd referendum.

" YouGov asked how people would vote if Brexit could not pass a Parliamentary vote and instead an early election happened. In the scenarios the Conservatives and UKIP back Brexit (as they undoubtedly would) and the Lib Dems back a second referendum (as they’ve said they would). YouGov offered three different scenarios for Labour – one, where Labour back Brexit, two where Labour back only a “soft Brexit”, three where Labour also offer a second referendum. In all three cases the Conservatives would win easily – even the closest scenario gives them a twelve point lead. The interesting finding is the Lib Dems – in the two scenarios where they are the only party offering a second referendum their support goes up to 19% or 22% (if Labour also offer a referendum the Lib Dems don’t gain nearly so much). So, while these are hypothetical questions that need to be taken with a pinch of salt, it does suggest that appealing to those voters who really are set against Brexit could be a route back for the Lib Dems, especially if they are the lone “anti-Brexit” party"

Just search the net. It is all out there.