The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

¿ Yes. But that's good economic news you see so it doesn't count.

Please go away and find some bad economic news as this will be accepted on face value. ¿

UK GDP growth slows to 0.5% following Brexit ;)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-gdp-brexit-growth-drop-fall-economy-eu-referendum-a7382556.html

(the Independent makes my PC stall)

Burdensome - you mean weaker? Fewer banned chemicals, lower standards - weaker how?

If I buy children's toys then I can check they bear the CE marking. To sell toys without a CE marking is illegal.

What will happen in your new world? Will there be no safety testing standards for children's toys at all, removing all burdens/red tape/consumer protection (delete as applicable)?

Will we set up our own parallel set of standards? If so, this will swim against the prevailing tide of harmonising standards and removing non-tariff trade barriers like this. It will be hugely expensive to administer. What is the strong argument for doing so?

How about the BSI Kitemark?

That is used a safety standard worldwide. I recall looking for the kitemark on certain goods many years ago and was confident in that as a safety standard.

How about the BSI Kitemark?

That is used a safety standard worldwide. I recall looking for the kitemark on certain goods many years ago and was confident in that as a safety standard.

We allow in goods from the far east that end up in the news for exploding or setting on fire; so someone is not following EU standards !!!

as i said in an earlier post, that I believed that they were using Brexit to get be a better deal with the government, wonder what it was? Never the less still good news

It is good news for the people of Sunderland and I'm wondering what the "support and assurances" given by the government are too.

Maintain tariff free access even if it means accepting free movement of people? (Referendum complied with because it wasn't to stop free movement after all.)

The cabinet have reportedly already discussed paying the EU to allow the financial services sector to retain passporting rights. Is this something similar? What about other companies/industries - will they get the same deal? If the government want to effectively pay the EU for single market membership without having to accept free movement that could get very expensive - far more so than the £380m a week we are supposedly saving by leaving (assuming the EU would even allow it).

¿ Yes. But that's good economic news you see so it doesn't count.

Please go away and find some bad economic news as this will be accepted on face value. ¿

It is good news but also in the interests of full disclosure it's worth noting Nissan are likely to have received certain financial guarantees. Phil mentioned this and it's highlighted in the BBC article.

Are we going to be financially guaranteeing the interests of every company in the UK?

---------- Post added 27-10-2016 at 12:43 ----------

It is good news for the people of Sunderland and I'm wondering what the "support and assurances" given by the government are too.

Maintain tariff free access even if it means accepting free movement of people? (Referendum complied with because it wasn't to stop free movement after all.)

The cabinet have reportedly already discussed paying the EU to allow the financial services sector to retain passporting rights. Is this something similar? What about other companies/industries - will they get the same deal? If the government want to effectively pay the EU for single market membership without having to accept free movement that could get very expensive - far more so than the £380m a week we are supposedly saving by leaving (assuming the EU would even allow it).

Ahh but you beat me to it! :)

Wow, I go away for a bit, the old Brexit thread closed and a new one opens!!

However..:)

It is good news but also in the interests of full disclosure it's worth noting Nissan are likely to have received certain financial guarantees. Phil mentioned this and it's highlighted in the BBC article.

Are we going to be financially guaranteeing the interests of every company in the UK?

We don't know what Nissan have been given only that its "support and assurances" so its the usual case of wait-and-see amid the speculation. Its also something they were given at the start to encourage them into the UK.

Wow, I go away for a bit, the old Brexit thread closed and a new one opens!!

However..:)

We don't know what Nissan have been given only that its "support and assurances" so its the usual case of wait-and-see amid the speculation. Its also something they were given at the start to encourage them into the UK.

What do you think 'support and assurances' could possibly mean?

I don't worry about what is not known as at the moment its not worth worrying about until there is more information.

So you don't agree with the BBC business analyst that it is likely a financial guarantee to protect them if Brexit has a negative impact on Nissan?

Do you run a business? Do you think your business is large enough for the Government to offer you the same guarantees?