The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

So you don't agree with the BBC business analyst that it is likely a financial guarantee to protect them if Brexit has a negative impact on Nissan?

Do you run a business? Do you think your business is large enough for the Government to offer you the same guarantees?

I refer to my previous post and as we are not party to what has been agreed its not worth debating. As far as the BBC business analyst is concerned even he stated; "We don't know the details of the "support and assurance" that Nissan extracted from the UK government." Most predictions even by them on Brexit have so far not materialised, so its anybody's guess.

So you don't agree with the BBC business analyst that it is likely a financial guarantee to protect them if Brexit has a negative impact on Nissan?

Do you run a business? Do you think your business is large enough for the Government to offer you the same guarantees?

Hasn't there been talk of post Brexit corporation tax cuts? I'd have thought these were the assurances Nissan were after, rather than a lump of cash.

Breaking news; CETA deal approved by Belgium.

No information yet as to how; was the text of the deal changed, or did Wallonia get some extra promises from the Belgium parliament to sweeten it?

One would guess the region of Belgium, which didn't agree to the trade deal have either been promised a carrot or threatened with stick, by the Belgium Government.

The Scottish National Party have deluded dreams about holding the rest of the UK to ransom, which looks to have happened by a region in Belgium.

I refer to my previous post and as we are not party to what has been agreed its not worth debating. As far as the BBC business analyst is concerned even he stated; "We don't know the details of the "support and assurance" that Nissan extracted from the UK government." Most predictions even by them on Brexit have so far not materialised, so its anybody's guess.

What Hotten said was:

'It seems likely that the government has now promised some sort of financial support to cushion Nissan against such an impact. That will be controversial, of course. But once outside the EU, it won't necessarily be illegal.'

Why is it not worth debating?

Do you own a business? Is it big enough to be offered the same guarantees as Nissan might have been? Should the UK Government offer such assurances to all businesses?

Don't pretend that the question is beneath you just because you can't answer it apelike.

---------- Post added 27-10-2016 at 15:02 ----------

Hasn't there been talk of post Brexit corporation tax cuts? I'd have thought these were the assurances Nissan were after, rather than a lump of cash.

I'm not sure. But a big lump of cash isn't my understanding of what the deal might be either.

Tax sweetners I bet.

I think Nissan have been quite shrewd. I don't know the retooling costs for new cars let alone the cost of building a new factory. It makes sense to keep Sunderland running. However it looks likely Nissan will not lose out if Brexit hits them. Note I say 'if.'

I think it possible that analysts don't expect Nissan to be effected greatly hence the offer of whatever these guarantees are.

But the precedent is there now. Should the UK guarantee every business? I can say with some confidence it won't.

Still, all's fair in love and war.

The assurances are not just to Nissan but to all automotive plants in the U.K. Thus paving the way for other manufacturers to contemplate moving to the UK.

Its not a positive, its just neutral. Will this investment happen, would it have happened, in or out, probably.

Its not a positive, its just neutral. Will this investment happen, would it have happened, in or out, probably.

Of course it is positive news. To suggest otherwise is utter nonsense.

Before the EU referendum some remainers feared and claimed that these foreign owned car factories would move production to mainland Europe, if the UK voted to leave the EU. More than likely a tariff free trade agreement will be reached between the UK and EU after BREXIT for motor vehicles.