The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

What would you call them then ?

The country voted to leave the EU ,so any MP trying to stop the democratic process should be sacked immediately .

That's not the democratic process. You don't sound like you know how our democracy works.

The country voted to leave the EU ,so any MP trying to stop the democratic process should be sacked immediately .

I'd call them people using the democratic and judicial means at their disposal to achieve the outcome they believe is best for the country.

There is nothing wrong with holding a different view to extreme Brexiters, and wanting a more controlled and gentle Brexit instead.

I could argue that those who have led the extreme Brexit cause are the real traitors. I expect to be able to argue that ever more convincingly as the months pass as the unplanned destruction their plans will cause becomes clearer.

But any part of the running of the EU would have an impact on us until we leave. So are we involved in those discussions?

eg. Should we put money into building sea defences in Cyprus or should that money be allocated to the UK?

You are aware of course that we haven't triggered article 50 yet, and will still continue handing them cash to spend until the day we leave?

We are as involved in those things as much as we were before.

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 08:57 ----------

Ok, so you think it is fair that other EU nations don't invite our Prime Minister to a dinner, because they are pretending to talk about BREXIT and really discuss other issues, which the UK should still be involved in as a consequence of still being one of the main contributors to the EU budget.[color="Silver"

On the whole very little is discussed at these things. Day to day running decisions are taken by the commission and council of minister's and we are as much a part of them as we ever was.

We have survived worse especially the financial collapse of 2008 which incidentally was not caused by the people but the financial institutions and banks. I notice you put "if our economy cant support them," well it can as we are still a rich country and our economy wont suddenly collapse.

There is no guarantee that the harder forms of brexit won't be worse. Clearly the closer we stay to the common standards barrier and tariff free trade the less damage to the economy there will be. We explored the cross EU supply chains, particularly in the motor industry, weeks ago, barriers and tariffs will damage if not destroy our position within those chains and the jobs they support. It's not just a matter of selling German cars, a lot of the components are made in the UK.

Even when Liam has signed all thesetrade deals with the rest of the world then it wil, take years to reinsert our industries into whatever global supply chains we can find.

We also have companies which make things here primarily for export into the EU, significant barriers will kill those markets. Presumably, these companies will have explored non EU destinations for their wares and taken whatever advantage they can of those markets. Still maybe Liam can find some countries our exporters were unaware of.

Consumer spending depends on confidence, if people start to lose confidence then consumer spending will decline and that will have big impacts.

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 09:29 ----------

So there is nothing to stop us being as disruptive as we like if they start trying to play hard ball.

Nothing except they play harder with our balls. Pretty much everyone agrees that a good deal for us, will be a good deal for the EU and a bad deal for us wil be a bad deal for the EU.

There are those on both sides who wouldbe quite willing to sacrifice their side in exchange for burning the other side, Lets hope the sane minds willprevail.

Traitors? I think you need to read up on the definition of what a traitor is. Wait that involves reading which you refuse to do.

I do not need to look up the definition, because I understand what the word means. Any MP who obstructs or attempts to stop the democratic wishes of voters being carried out is conducting an act of betrayal, to the honest leave voters in their country, which makes them a traitor.

Imagine the uproar, if Remain had received 52% of the vote and the Government of the day said 'The referendum was only advisory and we are going take the UK out of the EU anyway, because the Remain voters are uneducated Walter Mitty like characters"

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 09:58 ----------

Traitor is the correct word. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 09:59 ----------

We are as involved in those things as much as we were before.

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 08:57 ----------

On the whole very little is discussed at these things. Day to day running decisions are taken by the commission and council of minister's and we are as much a part of them as we ever was.

The UK are now lame duck members of the EU, similar to Obama's view about Israel is meaningless and will be ignored. The sooner the UK leaves the EU the better.

Nothing except they play harder with our balls. Pretty much everyone agrees that a good deal for us, will be a good deal for the EU and a bad deal for us wil be a bad deal for the EU.

There are those on both sides who wouldbe quite willing to sacrifice their side in exchange for burning the other side, Lets hope the sane minds willprevail.

I can't see that the EU have that many arrows in their quiver. The harder they want to bang their heads against the White Cliffs of Dover the more their heads will hurt.

They export far more to the UK than we export to them. If we close the cross border trade they are the losers and the fragile economies of Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain would go another step towards failing. I'm not sure that the folk of Germany and Holland are too willing to dig deap into their savings to help them out.

In the meantime a streamlined UK where we don't need permission from Walloonia to sign a trade deal, will be able to recapture all the trading partners that the EU takes a decade to sign.

I'm thinking many of those deals will be pretty much in place and awaiting signature when we say cheerio to the EU in 2019. Good riddance.

Edited by hush

I can't see that the EU have that many arrows in their quiver. The harder they want to bang their heads against the White Cliffs of Dover the more their heads will hurt.

They export far more to the UK than we export to them. If we close the cross border trade they are the losers and the fragile economies of Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain would go another step towards failing. I'm not sure that the folk of Germany and Holland are too willing to dig deap into their savings to help them out.

In the meantime a streamlined UK where we don't need permission from Walloonia to sign a trade deal, will be able to recapture all the trading partners that the EU takes a decade to sign.

I'm thinking many of those deals will be pretty much in place and awaiting signature when we say cheerio to the EU in 2019. Good riddance.

We don't hold the cards. The EU does.

Soon you are going to realise that.

The argument that we have a strong hand because of our appalling balance of trade with the EU is undignified and ridiculous.

Edited by I1L2T3

We don't hold the cards. The EU does.

Soon you are going to realise that.

The argument that we have a strong hand because of our appalling balance of trade with the EU is undignified and ridiculous.

So say's the forums chief economist. Have you told Volkswagen that they will no longer be able to sell 400,000 cars a year to the UK?